As Insurers' Profits Grew, So Did Their Appetite for Municipals
- P&Cs Net$13.3B for 1st Quarter, Doubling Last Year's Tally. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;7/7/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31920, p6
Reports on the increase in the United States property and casualty insurers' after tax net income for the first quarter of 2004. Improvement in underwriting results due to higher premiums; Expansion of insurers' capacity to benefit from tax-exempt bond income under the corporate alternative...
- EARNINGS MANAGEMENT AND TRADE-OFF BETWEEN TAX SAVINGS AND REGULATORY SCRUTINY -- THE CASE OF SLOVENIAN PROPERTY INSURERS. MÖREC, BARBARA // International Journal of Management Cases;2012, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p100
Every company wants to be financially sound and to pay as little taxes as possible at the same time. Financial soundness is especially important for insurers as long-term financial stability is required to keep regulatory approval to underwrite insurance. This paper tests two hypotheses. First...
- ALBERTA-INCORPORATED INSURERS ALMOST DOUBLE CONSOLIDATED NET INCOME. // Canadian Underwriter;Oct2010, Vol. 77 Issue 10, p10
The article reports on the increase in the consolidated net income of Alberta-incorporated property and casualty insurers from 2009 to 2010, as indicated in the figures reported by several companies including Fortress Insurance Co., Canadian Farm Insurance Co., and Alberta Motor Insurance Co.
- P&C Net Income, Underwriting Results Continued to Rise in Q1: A.M. Best. GUSMAN, PHIL // Property & Casualty 360;Aug2013, Vol. 117 Issue 8, p12
The article discusses the performance of the U.S. Property & Casualty industry which posted its second consecutive first-quarter underwriting profit in 2013. It indicates an improvement for the period with the underwriting income growing to 4.6 billion dollars compared to 1.5 billion dollars. It...
- Investments push insurer profits higher. Casale, Jeff // Business Insurance;9/20/2010, Vol. 44 Issue 37, p4
The article reports on the 16.5 billion U.S. dollars net income posted by private U.S. property/casualty insurers for the first half of 2010, according to the data released by Insurance Services Office Inc. and the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America.
- Investments fuel insurer profits. TSIKOUDAKIS, MIKE // Business Insurance;4/25/2011, Vol. 45 Issue 17, p4
The article focuses on an analysis by the Insurance Services Office Inc. and the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America, which showed that U.S. property/casualty insurers' aftertax profits increased by almost 21% to 34.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2011.
- CANADIAN P&C INSURERS DOUBLE THEIR 2010 Q2 INCOME. // Canadian Underwriter;Oct2010, Vol. 77 Issue 10, p10
The article reports on the increase in the net income of property and casualty (P&C) insurers in Canada for the second quarter of 2010.
- P&C markets strong but balancing act needed. Contreras, Manuelita // Asia Insurance Review;Aug2013, p30
The article focuses on the performance of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market. Insurers in many of the region's markets are having better-than-expected growth and profit margin from the fast- growing motor business. Reinsurance capacity remains sufficient, as major international...
- Quicksandï¿½. Van Zyl, Sean // Canadian Underwriter;Jan2005, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p6
Presents an article about the insurance industry in the U.S. and Canada. Financial performance of property and casualty insurance companies in the countries for the third quarter of 2004; Factors that will contribute to the performance of the industry in 2005, such as the overall rise in...