California GOP Pushes Tax-Backed Bonds to Help Close Gap
- Research Group Can't Stomach Cook County Sales Tax. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/6/2015, Vol. 1 Issue F343, p1
Concerns over the size of Cook County, Ill.'s sales tax hike to shore up pensions overshadows other accomplishments in board President Toni Preckwinkle's proposed budget, the Civic Federation of Chicago said.
- Treasurer: Sales Tax Extension to Aid Philadelphia Pensions. Coen, Andrew // Bond Buyer;12/12/2014, Issue F347, p1
The renewal of a 1% temporary sales tax that was set to expire this year will help aid Philadelphia's underfunded pension fund, the city's treasurer Nancy Winkler explained in a speech before the Municipal Forum of New York Wednesday.
- Springfield Police & Fire Pension Post 11.5% Return. Giardina, Michael // Investment Management Mandate Pipeline;8/21/2013, p3
The article focuses on the 11.5% return and 243.8 million worth of assets which the Springfield, Missouri Police Officers' & Firefighters' Retirement System made at the end of its 2013 fiscal year. It reports the discussions regarding the possibility of including long-term bonds into its total...
- Arizona Budget Cuts Are Likely To Hit Cities and Schools Hard. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;9/16/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31471, p5
Reports the reduction of the state budget in Arizona. Spending reduction in police and fire services; Lack of the effect of state cuts on bond projects; Decline in sales tax receipts.
- Chicago Mayor Rules Out Property, Sales, or Gas Tax Hikes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/7/2014, Vol. 1 Issue 34190, p1
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel vowed not to raise property, sales, or gasoline taxes to help erase $297 million of red ink in his proposed 2015 budget, set to be unveiled later this month.
- Ulster County face Sales Tax Nightmare. Draiss, Greg // Hudson Valley Business Journal;8/24/2009, Vol. 19 Issue 33, p6
The article discusses the economic conditions of Ulster County, New York. According to the author, sales tax receipts fell 16 percent causing concern that the county will not make the current budget. It is also noted that the county will see an increase in commitment to the state retirement...
- Cook County, Ill., Board Faces Deadline to Pass $3B Budget. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/18/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31823, p32
Reports that Cook County, Illinois Board of Commissioners will be under pressure to work out their differences to reconsider a proposed fiscal 2004 budget. Plans of Cook to issue new-money bonds; Issuance of the bonds to pay for projects that the board has already approved; Proposal of Board...
- Pie in the sky stuff. // Super Review;Jun2004, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p32
Comments on the release of a pre-election Budget document in Australia in 2004. Key issues of interest; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications on the superannuation industry.
- Boost STA funding, but not to prior level. // Journal of Business (10756124);2/12/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 4, pA4
Focuses on the response of the Spokane Transit Authority (STA) on funding crisis. Encouragement for the STA board to approve putting sales-tax increase proposal before voters; Budget operating deficit of STA; Problem with sales-tax increase.