Vicky Tsilas Joins IRS Chief Counsel's Office
- Federal tax changes threaten `muni' financing. Collins, John // Caribbean Business;6/29/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 26, p27
Discusses the negative implications of tax reforms proposed by the US Congress on municipal financing in Puerto Rico. Reliance of Puerto Rico's public sector on municipal securities as its main source of financing; Impact on corporate financial strategies; Offer of incentives to increase...
- End-of-the-Year Flight From Tax Gives Florida Funds a Boost. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;1/3/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31545, p25
Reports on an increase in cash inflows at the end of 2002 in Florida due to investments made by taxpayers into in-state municipal money market funds. Effect of the investments on national funds; Efforts made by Florida lawmakers to bring back the amount of taxes due under the state's property...
- Oklahoma group urges local bond exemption. Sanders, Lisa // Bond Buyer;01/27/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30318, p3
Focuses on the decision by the Oklahoma Municipal League to continue to push for a state tax exemption for bonds issued at the local level. Features of the legislation pending in the state legislature; Amount that the state stands to lose in the first year of the bill's implementation;...
- Tax Negotiators Moving Slowly; New Bond Provisions Added. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;05/25/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31147, p4
Reports on the efforts of United States House and Senate tax negotiators to hammer out a compromise between both chambers' tax measures that contain tax-exempt bond provisions. Points of contention between Democrats and Republicans; Key provisions of the bills.
- Issuer's late payment does not mean bonds are taxable, says IRS ruling. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/07/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30367, p4
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service released a ruling concluding that certain bonds issued by an unidentified party are not taxable and that the issuer deserves a refund. Bond lawyers' reactions to the ruling; Specific cases for which the ruling applies.
- De minimis effort moves into crucial stage. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/29/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30197, p4
Reports that bond representatives from the US Congress and President Bill Clinton's administration are negotiating over legislation that would implement the balanced budget agreement's $85 billion net tax cut on bonds. Concern about several municipal bond-related provisions.
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;6/3/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31399, p37
Presents a chart depicting the legislative status of bond buyers in the U.S. Enactment of the Qualified Zone Academy Bond program; Status of the Internet Tax Nondiscriminant Act; Provisions of the clean water state revolving fund loan program.
- A Quirk in Volume Cap Hike Penalizes 29 Largest States. Ferris, Craig T.; Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;8/22/2002, Vol. 241 Issue 31455, p1
Reports the increase on the cost-of-living in the private-activity bond volume cap in the U.S. Information on the volume cap increase provision; Limitation on the volume cap; Basis for the inflation adjustment.
- Fate of tax law proposals affecting bonds is still unclear. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/02/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30179, p1
Discloses that it is still uncertain whether several bond-related tax law changes will be enacted in 1997. Moves by the House and Senate to each adopt their own tax-cutting programs; United States President Bill Clinton's release of his own comprehensive tax cut plan. INSET: Mirror company,...