Cytomegalovirus Pneumonia Mimicking Lung Cancer in an Immunocompetent Host
- Cytomegalovirus pneumonia in adult autologous blood and marrow transplant recipients. Konoplev, S; Champlin, R E; Giralt, S; Ueno, N T; Khouri, I; Raad, I; Rolston, K; Jacobson, K; Tarrand, J; Luna, M; Nguyen, Q; Whimbey, E // Bone Marrow Transplantation;4/15/2001, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p877
CMV pneumonia is a major cause of morbidity and mortality among allogeneic BMT recipients. To assess the frequency, timing, risk factors and response to therapy of CMV pneumonia among autologous BMT recipients, we reviewed our experience with 795 patients. Sixteen (2%) patients were diagnosed...
- The Effect of Granulocyte Transfusions on the Incidence of Cytomegalovirus. Hersman, John; Meyers, Joel D.; Thomas, Donnall; Buckner, Dean; Clift, Reginald // Annals of Internal Medicine;Feb82, Vol. 96 Issue 2, p149
Presents a study which reviewed the association of granulocyte transfusions with cytomegalovirus infection and interstitial pneumonitis in allogeneic marrow transplant recipients. Methodology; Results; Discussion.
- Immunosuppressants. // Reactions Weekly;5/25/2013, Issue 1454, p24
An abstract of the article "Cytomegalovirus pneumonia in a patient with interstitial pneumonia and Nocardia asiatica presenting as cavitary lung lesions" by T. Saraya and colleagues is presented.
- Cytopathology or immunopathology? The puzzle of cytomegalovirus pneumonitis revisited. Barry, S M; Johnson, M A; Janossy, G // Bone Marrow Transplantation;9/15/2000, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p591
Various hypotheses have been proposed to explain why cytomegalovirus pneumonitis (CMV-P) is frequent and severe in bone marrow transplant patients while remaining rare and mild in HIV infected patients. One hypothesis suggests that CMV-P is an immunopathological condition that is common in bone...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae-Induced Transactivation of the Major Immediate Early Promoter of Cytomegalovirus: Potential Synergy of Infectious Agents in the Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis. Wanishsawad, Chad; Yi Fu Zhou; Epstein, Stephen E. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;2/1/2000, Vol. 181 Issue 2, p787
Studies Chlamydia pneumoniae-induced transactivation of the major immediate early promoter of cytomegalovirus. Potential synergy of infectious agents in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis; Dose response of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection on major immediate early promoter-chloramphenicol acetyl...
- Atherosclerosis and Infection Due to Chlamydia pneumoniae or Cytomegalovirus: Weighing the Evidence. High, Kevin P. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;4/1/1999, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p746
Describes the epidemiological and biological evidence linking cytomegalovirus and Chlamydia pneumoniae to atherosclerotic disease. Establishment of causality; Overview of interventional studies in humans; Postulates on the link between infectious agents and atherosclerosis.
- Isolated immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency presenting with cytomegalo virus pneumonia. Bhatt, Girish Chandra; Sankar, Jhuma; Dubey, N. K. // Annals of Tropical Medicine & Public Health;May/Jun2013, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p343
A 5-month-old infant with an uneventful perinatal period was presented with lower respiratory tract symptoms and abnormal X-ray findings of 1-month duration. At admission, the baby was in respiratory distress requiring oxygen therapy and supportive care. Despite optimal supportive care and...
- Fatal Cytomegalovirus Pneumonitis and Ileitis in a Patient with a Cardiac Assist Device. Huttner, Benedikt; Reineke, Tanja; Wilhelm, Markus J.; Karrer, Urs // American Surgeon;Sep2011, Vol. 77 Issue 9, pE182
The article describes the case of 56-year-old male patient with progressive idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy who died of complications due to pneumonia. He was admitted because his condition continued to deteriorate following an intraventricular cardioverter-defibrillator 6 months prior....
- Survival after cytomegalovirus pneumonia in two children receiving autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation (PBPCT). Castagnola, E; Dallorso, S; Rabagliati, M; Sacco, O; Kotitsa, Z; Dini, G // Bone Marrow Transplantation;3/1/98, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p529
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) pneumonia is a very rare but often fatal complication of autologous bone marrow or peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation. Diagnosis is usually made by means of CMV antigenemia which is strongly predictive of CMV disease. We describe two cases of PBPC...