Pharmacological Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Rationale for Rational Use of Insulin
- Efficacy of once-daily insulin. // Critical Care Alert;Dec2009 Pharmacology Watch, p1
The article presents a study which aims to determine the efficacy of simple once-a-day insulin regimen for type 2 diabetes in England.
- Repaglinide Versus Metformin in Combination With Bedtime NPH Insulin in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Established on Insulin/Metformin Combination Therapy. Furlong, Niall J.; Hulme, Shirley A.; O'Brien, Sarah V.; Hardy, Kevin J. // Diabetes Care;Oct2002, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p1685
OBJECTIVE -- To compare the effect on glycemic control and weight gain of repaglinide versus metformin combined with bedtime NPH insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS -- A total of 80 subjects treated with 850 or 1,000 mg t.i.d, metformin combined with bedtime NPH...
- Comparison of Insulin Monotherapy and Combination Therapy With Insulin and Metformin or Insulin and Troglitazone in Type 2 Diabetes. Strowig, Suzanne M.; AviléS-Santa, M. Larissa; Raskin, Philip // Diabetes Care;Oct2002, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p1691
OBJECTIVE -- To evaluate the safety and efficacy of treatment with insulin alone, insulin plus metformin, or insulin plus troglitazone in individuals with type 2 diabetes. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS -- A total of 88 type 2 diabetic subjects using insulin monotherapy (baseline HbA[sub1c] 8.7%)...
- Limitations of HbA[sub1c] in diabetes control. // Pulse;3/24/2003, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p88
Discusses the limitations of the HbA[sub 1c] in aiding the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Method of monitoring the effectiveness of therapy in diabetes; Clinical advantages of measuring fructosamine level.
- New diabetes treatments may be on horizon. // Diabetes in the News;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p3
Reports on studies regarding new therapies for type II diabetes. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) pending approval of an oral agent called metformin; Studies on thiazoles and vanadates; Mechanism of action of tolrestat; Use of combination drug approach in diabetes-related impotence; Use of...
- Exenatide LAR: A sustained-release formulation of exenatide for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. // Formulary;Feb2010, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p34
An abstract of the article "Exenatide LAR: A sustained-release formulation of exenatide for the treatment of type 2 diabetes," by Ashley Krause and Jennifer Kirwin is presented.
- Managing Obesity as First-Line Therapy for Diabetes Mellitus. Kelley, David E. // Nutrition in Clinical Care;Jan/Feb98 Supplement 1, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p38
Focuses on the management of obesity for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in the United States. Improvement of weight loss in obese patients; Impact of weight loss on the clinical efficacy of concominant pharmacologic therapy; Reduction of skeletal muscles insulin resistance.
- Newer, controlled-release glipizide is superior to its conventional form. // Modern Medicine;Mar95, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p53
Presents an abstract of the article `Comparative Efficacy of a Once-daily Controlled-Release Formulation of Glipizide and Immediate-Release Glipizide in Patients With NIDDM,' by M. Berelowitz, C. Fischette et al dated December 1994.
- New hypoglycemic should help physicians `do a better job'. // Modern Medicine;Aug95, Vol. 63 Issue 8, p28
Reports on the approval of the drug glimepiride for the treatment of noninsulin-dependent diabetes by 1995. Oral hypoglycemics as a tool for caring for noninsulin-dependent diabetes; Recommended dosage for glimepiride; Study presented at the Ameri can Diabetes Association Conference held in...