Acute propranolol administration effectively decreases portal pressure in patients with TIPS dysfunction
- Management Challenges of Liver Cirrhosis. Sadovsky, Richard // American Family Physician;2/15/2000, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p1127
Provides information on the study `Cirrhosis of Liver,' by B.S. Anand published in the August 1999 issue of the `Western Journal of Medicine.'
- Idiopathic Presinusoidal Portal Hypertension (Banti's Syndrome). Polish, Edwin; Christie, John; Cohen, Arthur; Sullivan Jr., Benjamin // Annals of Internal Medicine;Apr62, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p624
Presents the case of a 23-year-old Caucasian male that bears resemblance to the early stages of Banti's syndrome, characterized by splenomegaly and cirrhosis of the liver. Stages of the disease; Indications that the portal hypertension was presinusoidal in origin; Absence of neurological...
- Mercaptopurine. // Reactions Weekly;Aug2014, Vol. 1512 Issue 1, p27
The article presents a case study of a 12-year-old boy who was admitted to hospital for non-cirrhotic portal hypertension after being treated for Cohn's disease (CD).
- DECOMPENSATED CIRRHOSIS; PREVALENCE OF GASTRIC VARICES. Iqbal, Sarwat; Yousaf, Muhammad Haroon; Yousuf, Muhammad Ifitikhar; Wasim-Uddin // Professional Medical Journal;2015, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p1397
Cirrhosis with subsequent portal hypertension is a major health problem worldwide. Among various etiologies, HCV is the leading cause of chronic hepatocellular injury. Cirrhosis being the commonest cause of portal hypertension results in a spectrum of complications. Approximately 5-15% of...
- Understanding portal hypertension. // American Family Physician;4/1/1997, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p1861
Discusses information about portal hypertension. Meaning of portal hypertension; How it is caused by a condition called cirrhosis; Causes of cirrhosis; Treatments for cirrhosis and portal hypertension.
- Effect of cimetidine on portal hypertension in cirrhotic patients. Burroughs, A.K.; Walt, R.; Dunk, A.; Jenkins, W.; Sherlock, S.; Mackie, S.; Dick, R. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);4/17/1982, Vol. 284 Issue 6323, p1159
Examines the effects of cimetidine on portal hypertension in cirrhotic patients. Reduction of hepatic blood flow in normal subjects; Use of cimetidine as alternative to propranolol; Measurement of wedged and free hepatic venous pressures.
- Obliterative Portal Venopathy of the Liver and â€˜Idiopathic Portal Hypertensionâ€™. Iber, Frank L. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Sep69, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p660
Deals with the role of obliterative portal venopathy of the liver in idiopathic portal hypertension. Comments on the study by Reynolds et al in the 1969 issue of 'Annals of Internal Medicine' on portal hypertension without cirrhosis in alcoholic liver disease; Presence of portal hypertension in...
- Evaluation of Rectal Mucosal Hemodynamics in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis Using Reflectance Spectrophotometry. Tezuha, Takashi; Akita, Yasushi; Yoshikawa, Nozomi; Mitamura, Keiji // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jun1997, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p1022
Objectives: Portal hypertensive colonopathy is observed in patients with liver cirrhosis. To determine the correlation between rectal mucosal hemodynamics and portal hypertensive colonopathy, we observed rectal mucosal findings and measured rectal mucosal hemodynamics in patients with liver...
- Clonidine for Portal Hypertension: A Sympathetic Solution? Blendis, Laurence M. // Annals of Internal Medicine;3/15/92, Vol. 116 Issue 6, p515
Studies the efficacy of clonidine, a centrally active alpha-2 adrenergic agonist for treating portal hypertension in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. Decrease in the cardiac output and heart rate of the patients with clonidine; Effect of clonidine on mean arterial pressure of the patients;...
- Comparison of prevalence for paraumbilical vein patency in patients with viral and alcoholic liver cirrhosis. Chen, Chien-Hung; Wang, Jing-Houng; Lu, Sheng-Nan; Tung, Wei-Chih; Hung, Chao-Hung; Lee, Chuan-Mo; Changchien, Chi-Sin // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Sep2002, Vol. 97 Issue 9, p2415
OBJECTIVES:The patent paraumbilical vein (PUV) is a venous collateral that is often found in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. It can be effectively demonstrated by conventional ultrasonography (US). We conducted this prospective study to elucidate the prevalence and etiology of...