Congress' Medicare 'fix' just broke again
- PPRC: Congress should fix VPS before seeking savings. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Jun95, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p7
Reports that the technical problems of the volume performance standard (VPS) must be resolved before Congress looks for budget savings in Medicare physician payment methods. Replacement of the VPS formula; Separate performance standards.
- POLICY WATCH. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Sep2003, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p9
Reports changes to medicare policies in the U.S. Increase in medicare inpatient payments; Changes in the hospital rules regarding billings and other finances; Proposal to decrease medicare physician fees.
- Some Medicare doctor fees dip. // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;12/05/96, Vol. 70 Issue 23, p84
Presents information on the Medicare fees expected to be collected by physicians in the United States in 1997. Average decline in the doctor fee; Difference between surgeons and primary care physicians; 1997 spending targets set by Medicare.
- Calling-and coding- the shots. // Medical Economics;5/9/2003, Vol. 80 Issue 9, p24
Provides tips for billing Medicare for vaccine administration in the U.S. Allergy shots and vaccines; Code for all required doses of a vaccine; Code joint injections for vaccines; Doses of injections and vaccines.
- Medicare free hike may be just what the doctor ordered. Nozar, Robert A. // Ophthalmology Times;4/1/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the implications of the increased Medicare fee in the U.S. Effect of the increase on medicare patients; Reason for the success of the effort; Examples of the result of the fee hike and the practice cut; Factors that influence the increase in medicare fee.
- Trends In Medicaid Physician Fees, 1993-1998. Norton, Stephen; Zuckerman, Stephen // Health Affairs;Jul/Aug2000, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p222
Documents variation in physician fees across the United States, describes changes in these fees and contrasts how they changed relative to those in Medicare using data on Medicaid physician fees in 1993 and 1998. Variation of Medicaid fees in 1998; Percentage growth of Medicaid fees between...
- Lobbyists push to prevent Medicare fee reduction. Gatty, Bob // Urology Times;Jan2002, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p46
Reports the efforts of lobbyists and several physician groups in preventing reduction in Medicare fees in the United States. Correlation between health care costs and the economy; Legislation on the reimbursement of prescription drugs; Increase in the physician payment rates.
- Shortcomings In Medicare Bonus Payments For Physicians In Underserved Areas. Shugarman, Lisa R.; Farley, Donna O. // Health Affairs;Jul/Aug2003, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p173
This study examines trends in Medicare spending for basic payments and bonus payments for physician services provided to beneficiaries residing in nonmetropolitan counties. For our analysis, we used Medicare Part B physician/supplier claims data for 1992, 1994, 1996, and 1998. Payments under the...
- Monitoring access following Medicare price changes: Physician perspective. McCall, Nancy Taplin // Health Care Financing Review;Spring93, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p97
Examines changes in Medicare beneficiaries' access to services following the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1987 procedure price reductions from the physician perspective. Measures of physician availability; Evidence of continuing participation in Medicare.