27-Year-Old Woman With Numbness and Weakness of the Extremities
- Urinary acidification assessed by simultaneous furosemide and fludrocortisone treatment: an alternative to ammonium chloride. Walsh, S. B.; Shirley, D. G.; Wrong, O. M.; Unwin, R. J. // Kidney International;Jun2007, Vol. 71 Issue 12, p1310
Distal renal tubular acidosis (RTA) can lead to rickets in children or osteomalacia in adults if undetected. This disorder is normally diagnosed by means of an oral ammonium chloride-loading test; however, the procedure often leads to vomiting and abandonment of the test. In this study, we...
- RENAL TUBULAR ACIDOSIS. J.R.E.; E.J.H. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun61, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p1290
Editorial. Discusses the etiology and pathogenesis of renal tubular acidosis. Abnormal amount of bicarbonate excreted in an insufficiently acid urine containing relatively little titratable acid; Defective enzymatic reactions in the Krebs tricarboxylic cycle; Causes of primary renal tubular...
- Plasma membrane phospholipid integrity and orientation during hypoxic and toxic proximal tubular attack. Zager, Richard A.; Sacks, Benjamin M.; Burkhart, Kristin M.; Williams, Ali C. // Kidney International;Jul1999, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p104
Plasma membrane phospholipid integrity and orientation during hypoxic and toxic proximal tubular attack. Background.Acute cell injury can activate intracellular phospholipase A2 (PLA2) and can inhibit plasma membrane aminophospholipid translocase(s). The latter maintains inner/outer plasma...
- Indices of Tubular Damage Reduce by Lisinopril. // Kidney;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p242
Presents an abstract of the study 'Indices of Tubular Damage Reduced by Lisinopril,' by R. Rustom et al published in a 1998 issue of 'Clinical Science.'
- Familial dRTA Associated with Mutations in Band 3, AE1 Gene. // Kidney;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p53
Discusses the abstract of the article 'Familial distal tubular acidosis is associated with mutations in the red cell anion exchanger (band 3, AE1) gene,' by L.J. Bruce, D.L. Cope et al, published in the 1997 issue of the 'Journal of Clinical Investigation.'
- Source of Alpha[sub 1](III): Within Renal tubulointerstitium. // Kidney;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p54
Discusses the abstract of the article 'Myofibroblasts and alpha[sub 1](III) collagen expression in experimental tubulointerstitial nephritis,' by W.W. Tang, G.Y. Van and M. Qi, published in the 1997 issue of the 'Kidney International' journal.
- Obstructive uropathy in the mouse: Role of osteopontin in interstitial fibrosis and apoptosis. Ophascharoensuk, Vuddhidej; Giachelli, Cecilia M.; Gordon, Katherine; Hughes, Jeremy; Pichler, Raimund; Brown, Paul; Liaw, Lucy; Schmidt, Rodney; Shankland, Stuart J.; Alpers, Charles E.; Couser, William G.; Johnson, Richard J. // Kidney International;Aug1999, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p571
Obstructive uropathy in the mouse: Role of osteopontin in interstitial fibrosis and apoptosis. Background. Osteopontin is a macrophage adhesive protein that is expressed by renal tubules in tubulointerstitial disease. Methods. To investigate the function of OPN, we induced tubulointerstitial...
- Citrate Excretion in Renal Tubular Acidosis. Morrissey, James F.; Ochoa Jr., Manuel; Lotspeich, William D.; Waterhouse, Christine // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jan63, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p159
Studies urinary citrate excretion under varying conditions in a patient with documented renal tubular acidosis. Case history; Lack of relation between defective citrate excretion and potassium depletion; Effect of large doses of alkalinizing substances in the patient.
- Increased nitrotyrosine staining in kidneys from patients with diabetic nephropathy. Thuraisingham, Raj C.; Nott, Cathy A.; Dodd, Susan M.; Yaqoob, Muhammad M. // Kidney International;May2000, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p1968
Increased nitrotyrosine staining in kidneys from patients with diabetic nephropathy. Background. Proximal tubular cells produce nitric oxide (NOÂ· ). We have shown that under hyperglycemic conditions, cultured proximal tubular cells express cytochrome P450 2E1 , which is capable of producing...