Fatal Subacute Cytomegalovirus Encephalitis Associated With Hypogammaglobulinemia and Thymoma
- The inverted CD4/CD8 ratio and associated parameters in 66-year-old individuals: the Swedish HEXA immune study. Strindhall, J.; Skog, M.; Ernerudh, J.; Bengner, M.; Löfgren, S.; Matussek, A.; Nilsson, B.; Wikby, A. // Age;Jun2013, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p985
The Swedish OCTO and NONA immune longitudinal studies were able to identify and confirm an immune risk profile (IRP) predictive of an increased 2-year mortality in very old individuals, 86-94 years of age. The IRP, was associated with persistent cytomegalovirus infection and characterized by...
- Cytomegalovirus colitis--an unusual cause for diarrhoea in an elderly woman. Lockwood, M. Rose; Liddle, Jane; Kitsanta, Panagiota // Age & Ageing;Mar2006, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p198
Background: clinically apparent cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease is uncommon in the immunocompetent host, despite the high seroprevalence rate of CMV in the general population. Case report: here, we report the case of CMV colitis in an immunocompetent elderly woman who developed a large pulmonary...
- Infections. // Laboratory Investigation (00236837);Jan2006 Supplement, Vol. 86, p254A
Several abstracts related to infections are presented including "Correlation of Cytokine Expression, Histologic Findings, and Clinical Outcome in the Placenta," by I. Aguilera-Barrantes and G. J. Nuovo, "Cytomegalovirus Gastrointestinal Disease in the Elderly," by R. M. Angeles and E. S....
- Mycophenolate mofetil. // Reactions Weekly;12/2/2006, Issue 1130, p20
The article presents a case report on the adverse effect of mycophenolate motefil on a 49-year-old man who underwent a renal transplant. The man experienced occasional episodes of diarrhoea that did not initially require any treatment. About 8 months after his transplant,...
- Cytomegalovirus infection is associated with an increase in systolic blood pressure in older individuals. Firth, C.; Harrison, R.; Ritchie, S.; Wardlaw, J.; Ferro, C. J.; Starr, J. M.; Deary, I. J.; Moss, P. // QJM: An International Journal of Medicine;2016 Supplement, Vol. 109, p595
Background: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a chronic infection that is widely distributed in the population. CMV infects a range of tissues, including endothelium, and viral replication is suppressed by the host immune system. Infection is associated with increased risk of mortality from vascular...
- Cataracts a Risk of Death in Women. // Review of Ophthalmology;May2002, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p9
Compares the risk of death between elderly men and women with cataracts in the London, England. Association of cataracts with death among diabetics; Correlation between nuclear cataract and increased mortality; Exposure of women to the risk of cataract.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms: fresh insights from a novel animal model of the disease. Manning, Michael W; Cassis, Lisa A; Huang, Jing; Szilvassy, Stephen J; Daugherty, Alan // Vascular Medicine;2002, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p45
Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) have a high prevalence in aged populations and are responsible for a large number of deaths. Despite the widespread nature of the disease, relatively little is known regarding mechanisms for formation and progression of aortic aneurysms. In part, this lack of...
- Few realize stroke is a leading killer. // Aging;1991, Issue 362, p46
Recommends several booklets on strokes written by the National Stroke Association and gives addresses for ordering them. `Stroke: Reducing Your Risk'; `The Road Ahead: A Stroke Recovery Guide'; `Home Exercises for Stroke Patients.'
- Your immune system tends to flag as you age. // Body Bulletin;Mar1993, p3
Offers a look at how infection is the fourth most common cause of death among the elderly. What a new study on vitamins and the immune system showed; How the study was done; From `Lancet'; Details.