MEDICINES TAKEN BY PATIENTS WITH IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (IBS)
- Task force shows how to treat irritable bowel syndrome. Magill-Lewis, Jillene // Drug Topics;11/18/2002, Vol. 146 Issue 22, pHSE28
Presents a working definition of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Association of discomfort with altered bowel habit; Approvement of several medications for IBS therapy; Indications for the medications.
- Mind over IBS. Cohen, Sharon; Morris, Lindsay // Shape;Apr2004, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p97
Presents information related to hypnotherapy treatment of irritable bowel syndrome in women.
- Artichoke Extract Relieves Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Smith, Linda M. // Life Extension;Mar2005, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p17
Cites a study conducted by the University of Reading, England researchers which found that the administration of artichoke leaf extract showed impressive results in relieving symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and dyspepsia. Description of adults suffering with this syndrome; Identificaiton of...
- Gut Feelings. Nelson, Kathleen // Yoga Journal;Nov2002, Issue 170, p38
Reports the effectiveness of yoga to alleviate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in the U.S. Improvement of digestion with Revolved Triangle Pose; Restorative ability of yoga postures; Workout on the abdomen to stimulate digestion.
- Antibiotic provides lasting relief for IBS. // Clinical Advisor;Mar2011, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p30
The article reports on the use of antibiotic therapy for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Curcumin for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Review of Human Studies. Taylor, Rebecca A.; Leonard, Mandy C. // Alternative Medicine Review;Jun2011, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p152
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the use of curcumin in inflammatory bowel disease. DATA SOURCES: ALTMEDEX, Comprehensive Database of Natural Medicines, MEDLINE/PubMed were searched from January 1980 through May 2009 using the terms curcumin, turmeric, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Curcuma longa,...
- Rifaximin considered as possible treatment for IBS. // Formulary;Feb2007, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p116
The article reports on the study on the potential of rifaximin to be used as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in the U.S. The study, which was published in the periodical "Annals of Internal Medicine," it was found that there is a global improvement of the symptoms of IBS in...
- Is aloe vera effective as IBS treatment? Ernst, Edzard // Pulse;10/27/2003, Vol. 63 Issue 43, p92
Answers a question about taking aloe vera for irritable bowel syndrome. Marketing of aloe vera gel and juice; Lack of evidence to demonstrate the effectiveness of any aloe vera product for any indication; Laxative properties of aloe vera that might reduce constipation; Contraindication of aloe...
- Case Studies. Squire, Carol // Positive Health;Feb2002, Issue 73, p49
Discusses the case of female patient with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) managed with hypnotherapy. Symptoms of IBS: Emotional problems of the patient; Relaxation treatment; Use of music during hypnotherapy.