IDIOPATHIC SLOW TRANSIT CONSTIPATION: A RARITY IN MALES
- Current Approaches to Diagnosing and Managing Constipation in Advanced Cancer and Palliative Care. Clark, Katherine; Urban, Kat; Currow, David C. // Journal of Palliative Medicine;Apr2010, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p473
Constipation is common in advanced cancer. Despite this, clinicians' understanding of the underlying changes affecting the colon and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract are limited. Two case histories are used to illustrate the problems encountered when the current approaches to diagnosing...
- Redo-endorectal pull through following various pull through procedures in Hirschsprung's disease. Obermayr, Florian; Hacker, Hans-Walter; Bornemann, Antje; Stern, Martin; Fuchs, Jörg // Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery;Jul2008, Vol. 393 Issue 4, p493
The purpose of this study was to analyse the outcome of redo-endorectal pull through in Hirschsprung's disease following different original pull through procedures. In the past, redo-endorectal pull through was mainly performed following endorectal pull through, but not following the Duhamel...
- Rectal irrigation for relief of functional bowel disorders. Gardiner, Angela; Marshall, Jill; Duthie, Graeme // Nursing Standard;11/10/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p39
This article examines the use of rectal irrigation for the symptomatic relief of functional bowel disorders in certain groups of patients. The authors undertook a study of 80 patients and conclude that it is a valuable treatment for some patients.
- Inner Space. Yow, Dirk // Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients;Nov2004, Issue 256, p26
Investigates why women seem to have more problems with constipation and adhesions than men. Causes of adhesions to form; Potential of flow colon hydrotherapy to treat twisted and looped colons; Story of a woman with severely prolapsed organs.
- Chronic constipation due to Hirschsprung's disease and desmosis coli in a family. Marshall, Donald G.; Meier-Ruge, W. A.; Chakravarti, Aravinda; Langer, Jacob C. // Pediatric Surgery International;Mar2002, Vol. 18 Issue 2/3, p110
Five members of a family are described, all of whom suffered from chronic constipation and megacolon. Detailed clinical and histologic evaluation of each member revealed that two individuals have histologic evidence of desmosis coli and three have Hirschsprung's disease, one of whom also has...
- Activation of the 4th Kidney and Beyond. Yow, Dirk // Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients;Aug/Sep2004, Issue 253/254, p60
Provides information about constipation in the U.S. Definition of constipation; Effect of constipation of health; Colon therapy and toxicity.
- An Examination of the Reliability of Reported Stool Frequency in the Diagnosis of Idiopathic Constipation. Ashraf, Waseem; Park, Faye; Lof, John; Quigley, Eamonn M. M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1996, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p26
Objectives: To investigate the reliability of reported stool frequency in the diagnosis of constipation. Methods: Our criterion for the diagnosis of idiopathic constipation was â‰¤3 stools per week for â‰¥6 months. Subjects who believed that they met this criterion were invited to...
- Physiology of Refractory Chronic Constipation. Mertz, Howard; Naliboff, Bruce; Mayer, Emeran // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar1999, Vol. 94 Issue 3, p609
OBJECTIVE: Investigators suggest three distinct pathophysiologies for patients with constipation symptoms: 1) slow colon transit, 2) irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and 3) pelvic floor dysfunction (PFD). Our aim was to determine the prevalence of the three types of constipation pathophysiology,...
- Alteration of Gut Microbiota and Efficacy of Probiotics in Functional Constipation. Chang Hwan Choi; Sae Kyung Chang // Journal of Neurogastroenterology & Motility;Jan2015, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p4
In this article, the author's views are presented on a research article related to change of fecal flora and effectiveness of the short-term probiotic treatment in patients with functional constipation (FC). Topics discussed include constipation predominant-irritable bowel syndrome,...