Lactobacillus GG prevents recurrence of colitis in HLA-B27 transgenic rats after antibiotic treatment
- Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron and Faecalibacterium prausnitzii influence the production of mucus glycans and the development of goblet cells in the colonic epithelium of a gnotobiotic model rodent. Wrzosek, Laura; Miquel, Sylvie; Noordine, Marie-Louise; Bouet, Stephan; Chevalier-Curt, Marie Joncquel; Robert, Véronique; Philippe, Catherine; Bridonneau, Chantal; Cherbuy, Claire; Robbe-Masselot, Catherine; Langella, Philippe; Thomas, Muriel // BMC Biology;2013, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
Background: The intestinal mucus layer plays a key role in the maintenance of host-microbiota homeostasis. To document the crosstalk between the host and microbiota, we used gnotobiotic models to study the influence of two major commensal bacteria, Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron and...
- Microbial exposure during early life has persistent effects on natural killer T cell function. Olszak, T.; An, D.; Zeissig, S. // Inflammatory Bowel Disease Monitor;2012, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p29
This study provided new insights into how early microbial exposure can shape the future gut immune response, focusing on the role of invariant natural killer T cell (iNKT) function in colonic inflammation.
- Effects of Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens M1 Isolated from Kefir Grains on Germ-Free Mice. Chen, Yen-Po; Chen, Ming-Ju // PLoS ONE;Nov2013, Vol. 8 Issue 11, p1
Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens M1 is a novel probiotic strain that was isolated from kefir grains. Previously, we have demonstrated the immunoregulatory, anti-allergic, anti-asthmatic and anti-colitis abilities of L. kefiranofaciens M1 in a number of in-vitro and in-vivo experiments. However,...
- Cleanliness syndrome sparks new products. Balch, Roger // Asian Business Review;Oct95, p10
Reports on the boom in sales of products in Japan for germ-fearing customers. Includes the germ-free pen by Pentel and an Automated Teller Machine which sanitizes and irons bank notes.
- gnotobiotics. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p972
A definition of the term "gnotobiotics," which refers to the study of animals that have been raised in germ-controlled or germ-free surroundings, is presented.
- Immune regulation: Gut responses tamed by friendly bacteria. Bird, Lucy // Nature Reviews Microbiology;Aug2008, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p567
The article discusses the results of a study titled "A microbial symbiosis factor prevents intestinal inflammatory disease" published in a 2008 issue of the journal "Nature." The research investigated the symbiotic contributions of Bacteroides fragilis to intestinal health. The commensal...
- Ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel patients exhibit distinct abnormalities of the gut microbiota. Noor, Samah O.; Ridgway, Karyn; Scovell, Louise; Kemsley, E. Katherine; Lund, Elizabeth K.; Jamieson, Crawford; Johnson, Ian T.; Narbad, Arjan // BMC Gastroenterology;2010, Vol. 10, p134
Background: Previous studies suggest a link between gut microbiota and the development of ulcerative colitis (UC) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Our aim was to investigate any quantitative differences in faecal bacterial compositions in UC and IBS patients compared to healthy controls, and...
- Abstracts from the XIII International Symposium on Gnotobiology, held in Stockholm, Sweden, June 19-24, 1999. // Microbial Ecology in Health & Disease;Dec99, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p183
Presents abstracts of studies presented at the XIII International Symposium on Gnotobiology held in Stockholm, Sweden on June 19 to 24, 1999. Neonatal flora in developed and developing countries; Stimulation of the antisecretory factor to improve the outcome of human intestinal disease;...
- Flavylium Salts as Precursors of Biologically Active Chalcones. George, Tesmol G.; Richard, Julian; Barszcz, Todd; Capers, Jeffrey; Werbovetz, Karl A. // Letters in Drug Design & Discovery;Feb2008, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p69
Several flavylium salts showed potent (albeit nonselective) activity against L. donovani axenic amastigotes and T. b. brucei bloodstream forms in vitro (IC50 values ranging from 0.75 to 35 ï¿½M). The trans-chalcone, which forms from the corresponding flavylium salt at neutral pH in aqueous...