Arkansas Senator Lobbies for Wholesale Tobacco Tax
- Tobacco garners attention. // State Government News;Apr2002, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p6
Reports the states in the U.S. that have voted to increase the tax on cigarettes in 2002.
- Vice Profits. Sullum, Jacob // Reason;May99, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p18
Focuses on the profit obtained by the United States government from tobacco industry. Proposed increase in federal cigarette tax; Projected growth of government's share of the tobacco business in 2002.
- NATO, Altria Examine State Tobacco Taxes. Zid, Linda Abu-Shalback // CSP;Jun2011, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p32
The article discusses two important trends in the state tobacco taxation in the U.S. in 2011. The first trend is the implementation of the dollar standard in which around two-thirds of the 22 U.S. states consider the taxation of 1 U.S. dollar for every pack of cigarette. The other trend is the...
- A Cigarette Police for America? Ebeling, Richard M. // Human Events;03/03/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p14
Criticizes the proposed increase on cigarette taxation by United States (US) President Bill Clinton. Objective of the proposal; Teenage smokers in the US; Analysis on the statistics of the government on teenage smokers in the US.
- Bill Clinton's cigarette tax? Don't inhale. Schiller, Erin // Human Events;03/06/98, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p19
Comments on the proposed cigarette tax by United States President Bill Clinton. Implications of the proposed tax; Background information on cigarette taxes in several states; Comparison with the imposed cigarette tax in Canada.
- Filthy Habit. Lofstock, John // Convenience Store News;5/5/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p21
Under the guise of public safety, state politicians in the U.S. are becoming addicted to tobacco taxes. When Arizona sued cigarette makers in 1996, the state described the pernicious effects of smoking: &ldquo.Tobacco products are not only addictive, they are abnormally dangerous and unfit for...
- Smoke and Mirrors? Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;10/26/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31997, p27
Oklahoma state finance director Scott Meacham says there is no truth in the warnings by tobacco companies that passage next week of State Question 713, which would increase the state tax on tobacco products, will harm Oklahoma's towns and cities. The proposal would increase the existing 23-cent...
- Cigarette Smuggling: Information on Interstate and U.S.-Canadian Activity: T-RCED-98-182. // GAO Reports;5/4/1998, p1
Smuggling cigarettes from low- to high-tax states, which was prominent in the 1970s, may be a reemerging problem because a number of states have sharply increased cigarette taxes while low-tax states have not. Recent estimates suggest that smuggling has cost states hundreds of millions of...
- TOBACCO TAX EVASION. Anderson, Sarah // Multinational Monitor;Mar2002, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p16
Discusses issues concerning taxation in the tobacco industry in the U.S. as of March 2002. Reasons for the decision of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to increase cigarette taxes; Actions taken by anti-smoking activists and U.S. state governments against online selling of cigarettes; List...