Comparison of the hepatic clearances of campesterol, sitosterol, and cholesterol in healthy subjects suggests that efflux transporters controlling intestinal sterol absorption also regulate biliary secretion
- Cholesterol. // American Family Physician;4/15/2003, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p1775
Presents information about cholesterol. Risk associated with high cholesterol level; Kinds of cholesterol; Ways to improve cholesterol level.
- Consumers Choose CHOLESTEROL Controls. Mannie, Elizabeth // Prepared Foods;Sep2000, Vol. 169 Issue 9, pNS5
Presents information on several cholesterol-lowering compounds. Regulation of blood cholesterol; Mechanism of action of soy isoflavones; Benefits of stanols and sterols; Effect of cholestin. INSET: French Paradox Resolved with Resveratrol?.
- Simple steps can lower bad cholesterol quickly. // Filipino Post;12/16/2010, p5
The article offers tips on how to maintain good cholesterol level which include adding plant sterols on food, doing aerobic exercise for 30 minutes everyday for five days a week, and eating fruits, vegetables, and fish.
- SEASONAL CHANGES. McLaughlin, Lisa // Time;5/10/2004, Vol. 163 Issue 19, p82
Reports on a study published in the 'Archives of Internal Medicine' about how cholesterol levels in humans naturally fluctuate during the changing seasons of the year. How researchers at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester tracked the cholesterol levels of 517 healthy...
- Simple steps can lower bad cholesterol quickly. // Asian Pacific Post;12/16/2010, p5
The article suggests steps in lowering bad cholesterol including adding plant sterols to diet, engaging in physical activities and eating well.
- Biliary cholesterol secretion by the twinned sterol half-transporters ABCG5 and ABCG8. Wittenburg, Henning; Carey, Martin C. // Journal of Clinical Investigation;9/1/2002, Vol. 110 Issue 5, p605
Examines biliary cholesterol secretion by the twinned sterol half-transporters adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette gene (ABCG) 5 and ABCG8. Behavior of ABCG5 and ABCG8 half-transporters during their journey to the apical membrane; Increased biliary cholesterol transport in mice...
- Cholesterol-lowering effect of spreads enriched with microcrystalline plant sterols in hypercholesterolemic subjects. Christiansen, L. I.; Lähteenmäki, P. L. A.; Mannelin, M. R.; Seppänen-Laakso, T. E.; Hiltunen, R. V. K.; Yliruusi, J. K. // European Journal of Nutrition;2001, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p66
Summary Background Plant sterols have been shown to reduce serum lipid concentrations. The effectiveness is highly dependent on the physical state of the plant sterols. By means of a new crystallizing method, plant sterols can be added into dietary fats and oils homogeneously. In this fat...
- Precholesterol Sterols Accumulate in Lipid Rafts of Patients with Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome and X-linked Dominant Chondrodysplasia Punctata. Rakheja, Dinesh; Boriack, Richard L. // Pediatric & Developmental Pathology;Mar/Apr2008, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p128
Systemic fetal dysmorphogenesis in disorders of postsqualene cholesterol biosynthesis is thought to be caused by disruption of Hedgehog signaling. Because precholesterol sterols such as 7-dehydrocholesterol and lathosterol can replace cholesterol in the activation of Hedgehog proteins, it is...
- sterÂ·ol. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p327
A definition of the term "sterol" is presented. It refers to any of various alcohols having the structure of a steroid, including cholesterol. Sterols are found in the tissues of animals, plants, and yeasts.