- More Choices in Optical Drives. Needleman, Ted // Poptronics;Aug2002, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p19
Provides information on options in optical drives. Read-only optical drives; Description of DVD burner or DVD drives that can read standard DVD movies, CD-ROM discs and read and write CD-R and CD-RW discs; DVD-RAM; DVD recordable drives.
- Backfield in Motion: DVD-RAM Jukeboxes Supply Video Delivery Back-End. Skriba, Lou // EMedia Magazine;Jun2000, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p18
Describes the digital video disc (DVD) products used for archiving, backup and Near Video On-Demand storage of program content. Features of the id 100 Digital Library system from Cygnet Storage Solutions Inc.; Cartridge capacity of the TeraCart boxes from ASACA; Capabilities of the DREM-7000...
- Disc Makers Pico. Yelton, Geary // Electronic Musician;Feb2006, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p22
The article evaluates the Pico CD and DVD duplicator by Disc Makers and offers information on its design, features, and performance.
- Making Sense of Optical Storage. Goldsborough, Reid // Black Issues in Higher Education;10/21/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 18, p44
Presents information on the evolution of computer optical storage devices in the U.S. Benefits gained from using the DRU-710A internal drive and DRX-710UL external drive from Sony; Information on DVD burners.
- CD-ROM Compatibility and Usability Issues. Gale, Jonn C. // Information Today;Sep1988, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p19
This article describes the basic specifications, standards and compatibility issues which affect a CD-ROM based system. CD-ROM or Compact Disc Read Only Memory provides a means of distributing 600,000 characters of data to any end user with a microcomputer and a $600 drive. Philips and Sony own...
- How fast is fast enough. Starrett, Robert A. // CD-ROM Professional;Sep96, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p91
Focuses on CD-ROM drives' hardware cache. Speeding of data transfer; Magnetic storage features of caching utilities; SMARTDRV in DOS; Ballard Synergy's dTime 95 on CD-ROM. INSET: In pursuit of comparative data: PC Labs' CD-ROM WinMark 96..
- BUYER'S MARKET: CD-RX DRIVES. Perenson, Melissa J.; McLeod, Ramon G. // PCWorld;Mar2002, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p26
Focuses on compact-disc-rewritable, or CD-RW, drives for computers as of winter 2002. Indication that prices for the computer drives, even the 32X and 24X models, are at an all-time low; Reasons that prices have fallen; Warning that as drives become faster the additional user benefit shrinks;...
- Getting a Clear Picture of Optical Storage. Goldsborough, Reid // Community College Week;8/20/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p31
Provides information on several optical storage technology. Details on compact disc-ROM; Features of a Compact Disc Recordable; Cost advantage of a Compact Disc Rewritable.
- Start of the hologram wars? Graham-Rrowe, Duncan // New Scientist;1/20/2007, Vol. 193 Issue 2587, p22
The article discusses a new type of disc that promises to cram in up to 300 times as much data as today's DVDs. The new discs use a holographic technique to store data in three dimensions. At first they will be used by businesses and governments to back up their vast archives. The problem is...