Calimetrics, energy conversion devices, Polaroid receive ATP award for high-density disc research
- Level-Jumping: Toshiba and Calimetrics Announce 2GB 'MultiLevel' CD Recording Format. Clark Jr., Stephen // EMedia Magazine;Jan2001, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the technology alliance formed by Calimetrics and TDK Electronics to apply the MultiLevel (ML) Recording technology of Calimetrics to create a recordable and rewritable optical disc format. Platform to be used in incorporating ML technology; Recording speed of the drives.
- Storage optical disks step up in capacity. Knight, Gordon // Laser Focus World;Jul94, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p36
Reports on the growing pressure to develop higher-capacity optical disk media to compete with the rapidly increasing capacity of magnetic storage devices. Capacities of magneto-optic drives; Increased demand for recordable units due to the market acceptance of CD-ROM; High-capacity rewritable...
- The PD Combo: A new palimpsest? Thompson, Brad // CD-ROM Professional;Mar1996, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p102
Focuses on the emergence of the phase-change (PD) rewritable optical disks. Three-way struggle for market share in the optical disc industry; storage of data in optical disc systems; Testing of phase-change rewritable optical disks.
- Dramatic growth. Patton, Robert // Industry Week/IW;9/4/95, Vol. 244 Issue 16, p53
Focuses on innovations in optical disk technology. Information density; Compression; Layering techniques; Emergence of two technologies. INSET: The DVD battle begins..
- THX LaserDiscs. // Gramophone;May95, Vol. 72 Issue 864, p162
Evaluates the Videophile offered THX LaserDisc. Names of movies with THX treatment.
- CAV and CLV. // Gramophone;May95, Vol. 72 Issue 864, p163
Compares Constant Linear Velocity LaserDiscs with Constant Angular Velocity discs. Features of both varieties of discs.
- When science has to be political. Greenberg, Daniel S. // Quintessence International;Sep1979, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p70
An excerpt from the article about government-financed research to develop the Science and Technology inventions is presented.
- People and companies breaking new ground. // Crain's Detroit Business;5/3/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 18, pE38
The article focuses on some innovative companies and institutions in Michigan. It is stated that founded by Stanford and Iris Ovshinsky, Energy Conversion Devices Inc. was ahead of its time. To improve the quality of laser eye surgery, high-speed lasers were manufactured by scientists from...
- Two new disposable cameras. // Drug Topics;7/19/93, Vol. 137 Issue 14, p5
Announces Polaroid Corp.'s development of two 35mm disposable cameras. Features and prices.