Budget impasse has East St. Louis, Ill., facing shutdown threat once again
- The changing nature of US urban policy evaluation: The case of the urban development action grant. Barnekov, Timothy; Hart, Douglas // Urban Studies (Routledge);Nov93, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p1469
Reports on the Urban Development Action Grant (UDAG) of the United States. Evaluation of urban policy under President Ronald Reagan's administration; Reduction of waste, inefficiency and fraud; Policy performance; Awareness of policies by economic development officials.
- Recent US Urban Change and Policy Initiatives. Stegman, Michael A. // Urban Studies (Routledge);Dec95, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p1601
This paper provides an account of recent urban change and policy initiatives in the US. The paper describes how processes of global change have impacted upon economic activity and social life in the US, leading to the decline and isolation of inner-city areas. The urban, housing and community...
- Urban Policy: The Victory of Form over Substance? Edwards, John // Urban Studies (Routledge);May97, Vol. 34 Issue 5/6, p825
Focuses on the formulation of British urban policy. Competition for resources in urban policy; Role of urban development corporations in policymaking; Partnerships among the private and public sectors and the voluntary sector; Community empowerment; Benefits and drawbacks of competition as policy.
- O'Rourke endorses county's planning study. Philippidis, Alex // Westchester County Business Journal;5/20/96, Vol. 35 Issue 21, p5
Reports on the endorsement of an urban policy study for Westchester County, New York. Working with small businesses to ease government red tape; Environmental protection; Identification of undeveloped land that could be kept as open space.
- Desperate measures? Monagle, K. // Scholastic Update;1/10/92, Vol. 124 Issue 8, p12
Studies three drastic and controversial steps being taken by cities to improve the quality of life and combat the flight of citizens to the suburbs. Nighttime curfews for teens; Eviction of street people from public places; Taxing wealthy suburbs to help pay for city schools.
- Community, neighbourhood planning. Chim, Jim; Lee, Paul // Chinatown News;1/18/95, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p22
Announces that in December 1994, the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) Board approved the Livable Region Strategic Plan and Transport 2021 plans. What the approved plans will become; How many people greater Vancouver is home to; Transport 2021's project recommendation of four major...
- The lessons of New York City. Glazer, N. // Public Interest;Summer91, Issue 104, p37
Presents a reprint of an article which originated as the Duncan Clark Lecture to the New York Academy of Medicine. The future of American cities; Eugene Lang and the `I Have a Dream' Foundation; Slums of hope and slums of despair; Changes in New York; Race; Poverty; Manufacturing; Change in the...
- Healthy downtown boosts suburban economy. Reynolds, Bob // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/23/96, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p6
Opinion. Posits that suburbs surrounding prosperous cities do better that those near sick cities. Quality-of-life benefits from a thriving downtown; Economic relationship between urban centers and suburbs.
- Fragmentation and centralisation in the governance of London: Influencing the urban policy and... Newman, Peter; Thornley, Andy // Urban Studies (Routledge);Jun97, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p967
Explores the developments in the governance of London, England through an examination of changes in formulating urban policies and strategies. Fragmentation of institutions; Phases in fragmentation planning; Mechanisms for centralization of the governance in London; Roles of the Government...
- This land is your land...this land is my land. Lacayo, R.; Bonfante, J. // Time;5/18/1992, Vol. 139 Issue 20, p28
Argues that suburbanization, the most irresistible demographic trend of the past 40 years, is at the heart of why the inner cities have been reduced to hollow shells peopled largely by poor non-whites. The result is an America dividing into two worlds, separated by class, race and drive time....