Tailored HR solutions beat generic models
- Will and a way. Fisher Jr, James R. // Executive Excellence;Jul97, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p12
Focuses on ways to employ the natural resilience of workers aside from outsourcing, downsizing and cost-cutting measures. Development of a true partnership between managers and workers; Selection of team leaders in agreement between management and the union; Complementary practices that ensure...
- Successful organizations. Pfeffer, Jeffrey // Executive Excellence;Mar1998, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p11
Describes the seven practices of profitable business enterprises. Employment security; Selective hiring; Implementation of self-managed teams and decentralized decision making; Offering of high compensation and contingent on performance.
- Technology misapplied. Oncken, William // Executive Excellence;Sep98, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p14
Discusses how technology can be used in industrial and personnel management. Illustration on how to solve problems within an organization; Illustration on how technology can be misapplied.
- Art of recognition. Anderson, Mac // Executive Excellence;Sep98, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p20
Suggests how managers can motivate employees to give their best service for the company. Correlation between satisfied employees and quality service delivery to customers; Discussion on how managers can help recognize employees for their quality service.
- The new workforce is for HR today. Halcrow, Allan // Workforce (10928332);Sep98, Vol. 77 Issue 9, p8
Deals with the impact of human resources (HR) on jobs. Factors that shaped HR; Impact of HR on businesses.
- `Problem children'-how do you deal with them? Thatcher, Mike // People Management;05/04/95, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p17
Discusses personnel professionals' debates on how to get rid of troublemakers before embarking on large change company programs. Difficulty of sacking troublemakers; Constructive ways on how a company may achieve change.
- Porter fails to focus on employees. // People Management;11/06/97, Vol. 3 Issue 22, p11
Focuses on the need for operational effectiveness in personnel management, simultaneous with strategic positioning. Definition of operational effectiveness; Role of training and development on the infrastructure of the organization; Usual failure of cross-development team to impart its...
- Flagship enterprise. Stevens, John // People Management;01/28/99, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p67
Describes how businesses are opening their doors to share their people management practices. Information on companies that will share their approaches to key business issues; Approaches to people management; Information on the `Inside UK Enterprise' scheme.
- Are Your Managers not Managing Themselves? Mulling, Emory // Business Journal (Central New York);10/20/2000, Vol. 14 Issue 42, p33
Discusses guidelines in industrial and personnel management. Conflict resolution; Differentiation of empowerment and abandonment; Tips in effective management.