Global warming issues unresolved on eve of international meeting
- Global warming waffle. // Natural Life;Sep/Oct97, Issue 57, p8
Reports on a compromise made by world leaders attending the Earth Summit II in New York in June 1997, that barely keeps alive hopes of action to prevent further damage to world's climate. Delegates' decision not to commit themselves to pollution targets to counter global warming.
- Global warming pact sparks debate at annual energy forum. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;09/14/98, Vol. 205 Issue 2, p22
Discusses the debate over Kroto Protocol, the global warming treaty signed in Kyoto, Japan, at the Ninth Annual Energy Efficiency Forum. Market-driven strategies to reduce global warming; Emissions trading; New technologies; Future of energy efficiency; Sustainable future.
- Warming to the task. Gergen, David // U.S. News & World Report;06/25/2001, Vol. 130 Issue 25, p76
Editorial. Focuses on the involvement of the United States in the international policy regarding global warming. View that the U.S. administration must aggressively put out ideas that will bring Europeans, Japanese, and others into negotiations for a follow-on treaty to the Kyoto Protocol;...
- A Global Plan to Save OUR PLANET'S ENVIRONMENT. Brown, Lester R.; Flavin, Christopher; Postel, Sandra // USA Today Magazine;Jan90, Vol. 118 Issue 2536, p28
Discusses a global plan to save the Earth's environment. Impact of energy systems on the Earth's climate; Need for reordering of natural energy priorities; Ways to displace fossil fuels; Strategies to prevent global warming; Improvement energy efficiency efforts; Redirection of world energy...
- Towards sustainable clinical trials. Burnett, Jill; Clarke, Mike; Darbyshire, Janet; Haines, Andy; Lilford, Richard; Ramos, Maria; Roberts, Ian; Shakur, Haleema; Siegfried, Nandi; Wilkinson, Paul // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/31/2007, Vol. 334 Issue 7295, p671
The article focuses on a report from the Sustainable Trials Study Group which found that clinical trials contribute substantially to greenhouse gas emissions due to energy use seen in the research premises and air travel which is often needed for the trials. In the report the group suggested...
- The acid challenge to security. Carroll, J.E. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Oct1989, Vol. 45 Issue 8, p32
Discusses how the problem of acid rain provides an excellent example of the way international environmental problems are redefining national security and the citizen's role in it.
- For Mutual Survival We Must Bring Our World Together. Asimov, Isaac // Humanist;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p5
Examines the phenomenon of the greenhouse effect as the most important scientific event of 1988. Argues that the environment is a planetary concern that transcends international politics; Calls for an end to the Cold War and joint cooperation among the superpowers; Proposes the establishment of...
- Federation urges Congress to stop World Bank projects. // International Wildlife;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p27
States the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) is urging Congress to suspend all funding for World Bank projects until environmental reforms are implemented. The Narmada Valley dam project in India as a flagrant example of environmental abuse; Expected destruction of rare trees, medicinal...
- Earth summit follow-up. // United Nations Chronicle;Mar93, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p100
Outlines the restructuring of the Global Environment Facility, which was discussed at the Earth Summit and a December 1992 meeting in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivore. Preparations for the Earth Council; Chairman of the organizing committee is Maurice Strong.