Hunker down on funky town
- Getting down to (biofilter) basics. Boyette, R. Allen // BioCycle;May98, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p58
Focuses on the use of biofiltration to control odors at composting and other waste treatment facilities. Design improvements in open bed biofilters; Capital and operating costs of biofilter systems; Aeration insights and troubleshooting.
- The sweet smell of excess. // WET News: Water & Effluent Treatment News;Sep2008, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p28
This article reports on the use of perfume to lessen the smell in dumping sites in Mumbai, India, in 2008. The local government sprayed herbal perfume over the dumps to lessen the smell following complaints from local residents. The perfume is diluted with water and sprayed over the landfills...
- The Nose Knows. McDilda, Diane Gow // MSW Management;Sep/Oct2006, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p42
The article presents an overview of how the human nostril identifies an odor and how it reacts to it. It discusses how federal regulators aim to promote a sense of stewardship of waste facilities to protect not only human health but also the environment. It focuses on landfill concerns where...
- How to transform into a wood processing powerhouse. McCarthy, Kevin P. // World Wastes;Mar1997, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p38
Features the Davis Street Transfer Station for Materia Recycling and Transfer in San Leandro, California. Areas for curbside loads and new markets for material; Selection of components for screening and grinding equipment; Davis Street's on-site-mini MRF; System designs to separate feedstock...
- Why don't we build it in the road? Hauser Jr., Robert // World Wastes;Jul98, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p66
Reports on the dilemma in the United States on where to build transfer stations as the road continues to stretch between waste generators and disposal sites. Types of transfer stations; Importance of location; Techniques used in Scottsdale, Arizona and Santa Fe, New Mexico to slash the travel time.
- Still the worst Gjertsen, Heidi // Alternatives Journal;Summer1997, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p5
No abstract available.
- Successful bioremediation: the importance of the biofeasibility study Chaparion, Michael // Waste Age;Feb1996, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p123
No abstract available.
- Where to dump. Moore, Thomas // Las Vegas Business Press;3/20/95, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p13
Presents a list of disposal sites in Clark County in Las Vegas, Nevada. Categories of disposal sites; Classes of disposal sites as defined by the state of Nevada.
- Waste War? Dyer, Nicole // Science World;10/15/2001, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p7
Deals with the plans of the United States Department of Energy to make Yucca Mountain in Nevada a garbage dump site.