Splitting heirs over new estate tax law
- New York state budget act changes estate tax. Feit, Melvin I. // CPA Journal;Feb95, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p58
Discusses the effect of the New York Budget Act changes on the estate tax. Amount allowed under the New York State Unified Credit; Additional credit for deaths after June 9, 1994; Ruling on the business owned by the decedent; Definition of the qualified heir.
- Transfer tax relief under TRA '97. Foster, Laurence I.; Kilgallen, Michael A. // CPA Journal;Sep98, Vol. 68 Issue 9, p28
Focuses on the amendments in the 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act (TRA) affecting estate taxation. Effects of increase in unified credit; Indexing of inflation of certain estate and gift tax provisions; Estate tax relief; Capital gains rates and estate holding periods.
- Tax bill introduced. Bodwin, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;1/24/94, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p2
Reports on the introduction of Senate Bill 978, which proposes the removal of a 2% transfer tax from the school-finance ballot plan. Effect on real-estate transfer taxes; Proposals of the alternate statutory school-finance plan.
- Tax bill vote scheduled. Bodwin, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;2/7/94, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p2
Reports on the US Senate consideration of a legislation to reduce a proposed tax on transfers of property. US Senate's Finance Committee's approval of a bill that cuts the transfer tax in school-finance ballot plan and the backup statutory plan to equal amounts.
- Endangered species. Hochberg, R. Mark // FW;1/3/95, Vol. 164 Issue 1, p69
Advises investors to take maximum advantage of existing estate-tax benefits while the Congress, White House and Internal Revenue Service are deliberating on the issue on rate of taxation of estates. Repulsion of stepped-up basis; Elimination of the unlimited marital deduction; Reduction of...
- Power to replace trustee does not increase taxable estate. Rottenstreich, Zvi // CPA Journal;Dec94, Vol. 64 Issue 12, p72
Provides information on taxable estate. Requirement of IRC Sec. 2036(a); Rule for transfers after June 22, 1946; Estate of Helen S. Wall versus Commissioner.
- THE TROUBLE WITH DYING. Seligman, Daniel; Kaufman, David C. // Fortune;8/21/1995, Vol. 132 Issue 4, p121
Reports that there is a fair chance that Congress might reduce estate taxes, and a long shot of eliminating them altogether. Actions regarding estate taxes by the Reagan administration; Problems with collecting such taxes; Reasons why the super-rich might consider running for president.
- Death and taxes don't add up. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/9/95, Vol. 235 Issue 15, p54
Editorial. Focuses on the American Family-Owned Business Act proposed by Senator Robert Dole. Comment from Anne Wilson, president of Begane Paving Co.; Amount of tax to be paid by a family in case the owner dies.
- Inheritance tax rollbacks called a boon to family businesses. Caywood, Thomas // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);07/10/98, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p4
Reports on the Louisiana Legislature's vote to repeal the inheritance tax in increments through July 2004. Impact of the move to small businesses; Calculation of state inheritance tax; Effects of the cuts to the state's finances; Reasons of legislators for supporting the repeal of the tax. ...