Judge's decision goes against Smith Barney
- Chicago Bears. Smolowe, Jill; Sandler, Barbara // People;08/16/99, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p113
Profiles two Illinois attorneys who handled a sexual discrimination lawsuit brought against the brokerage house of Salomon Smith Barney. Details of the case being handled by Mary Stowell and Linda Friedman; Amount of money received in settlement payments as of August 1999.
- Arbitration Clause in Employee Handbook Is Enforced. Marinello, Mitchell L. // Alternative Dispute Resolution;Spring2015, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p22
The article discusses the Second Circuit Court of Appeals case McAllister v. Smith Barney/Citigroup, wherein a summary order was issued, affirming the decision of the district court in compelling arbitration, based on a mandatory arbitration agreement in the employee handbook. Topics discussed...
- Harassment suit. // Crain's New York Business;5/27/96, Vol. 12 Issue 22, p54
Reports that three workers at a Smith Barney office in Garden City, Long Island, New York has filed a federal sexual discrimination lawsuit against the firm.
- Vague diversity plan makes judge reject Smith Barney's discrimination settlement. // Jet;07/13/98, Vol. 94 Issue 7, p40
Reports on the rejection of a settlement between Smith Barney company and a group of women who accused the company of gender-based discrimination, harassment and retaliation against workers. Ruling of the United States District Judge Constance B. Motley; Information on the settlement.
- Speaking Truth to Citi's Power. // Multinational Monitor;Apr2002, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p22
Interviews Pam Martens, an investment broker in Wall Street, New York City, who filed a lawsuit against Smith Barney company which was acquired by Citigroup. Her experience in working as an investment broker; Reason for filing a lawsuit against Smith Barney; Response of the management on the...
- Dealers Hit With Copycat Pricing Suit. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;1/21/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31556, p1
Reports that Jerome Herman, an investor in San Diego, California has filed a lawsuit against Salomon Smith Barney Inc. and other broker-dealers charging the firms excessively marked up municipal securities in the secondary market trades. Details of other similar case filed against Salomon Smith...
- Get Your Own Lawyer. Eccleston, James // On Wall Street;Apr2002, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p93
Discusses a lawsuit that involved Smith Barney financial executives. Details of the case; Information on the differing attitude of individual brokers and brokerage firms; Advice of an independent counsel for brokerage firms.
- Bias settlement dealt a setback. Roberts, Sally // Business Insurance;07/06/98, Vol. 32 Issue 27, p55
States that Salomon Smith Barney Incorporated's discrimination and harassment settlement was not approved by Judge Constance Baker Motley of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Why Motley rejected the settlement; Who represented the plaintiffs in case;...
- HBO sues Salomon Smith Barney for its role in a deal gone bad. Copulsky, Erica // Investment Dealers' Digest;10/26/98, Vol. 64 Issue 43, p3
Focuses on a suit filed by HBO & Co. against Salomon Smith Barney for prematurely leaking the news of the merger between HBO and McKesson Corp. Impact of the leak on merger negotiations between the two; Decline in the stock price of HBO on the exact day the news leaked out; Salomon actions...