Fit for an Intranet
- The move to intranets. // Practical Accountant;Jul97, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p16
Focuses on the use of intranets computer network in the operations of accounting firms and other businesses. Information from the `1998 Accountant's Guide to Intranets' published by Faulkner and Gray; Details on how various companies use the network; Features of the guide.
- Intranets: They're not just for big business anymore. Pearl, Richard // Business Journal (Central New York);05/28/99, Vol. 13 Issue 21, p15
Focuses on Intranet technologies. Applications of Intranets in business; Benefits of the use of Intranets.
- A portal opening. // PC Week;07/13/98, Vol. 15 Issue 28, p65
Editorial. Contends that portals, or network search engines, could play a major role in corporate intranets. Why portals will work really well in an intranet environment; Problems that must be addressed before corporate acceptance will occur; The impact that portals will have on push...
- Internationalize Web pages without making blunders. Taylor, Dave // InfoWorld;01/12/98, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p58H
Identifies the significant additional complications involved in the design, deployment and maintenance of an intranet for global companies with offices and employees around the world. Multiple-language issues on the Web; Extended characters; HTML capabilities; Use of an automatic translation...
- Intranets: Virtual procedure manuals for the pathology lab. Ruby, Stephen G.; Krempel, George // MLO: Medical Laboratory Observer;Aug98, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p65
Considers an Intranet system as a solution for solving procedure manual problems in the pathology laboratory. Definition of Intranet; Hardware and software requirements; How to access and print documents on the Intranet; Its disadvantages; Intranet implementation options; Regulatory considerations.
- HR's `great enabler'. Greengard, Samuel // Industry Week/IW;09/15/97, Vol. 246 Issue 17, p63
Discusses how intranets have revolutionized human resources (HR) departments' operations in North America. Storage and dissemination of HR information; Use of extranets; Benefits derived from the Web; Reduction of recruiting costs; Sophistication of HR software and systems; Data accuracy;...
- Corporations set course for portals. Green, Daniel // Inter@ctive Week;03/08/99, Vol. 6 Issue 10, p32
Reports on the growing popularity of the corporate portal concept among businesses in the United States. Details of how the concept works; Advantages offered by internal business portals; Description of business portal software packages available from Plumtree Software and Information...
- Comedy Central `nets' plenty of smiles. Mullich, Joe // PC Week;04/13/98, Vol. 15 Issue 15, p31
Discusses Central Net, the intranet developed for Comedy Central. What the company chose to put on the intranet; The decision to make the intranet fun and functional; Hardware and software used; Comments from Sue Massaro, senior vice president of professional services at Icon CMT Corp., who...
- Off-site intranets make good sense for many companies. Taylor, Dave // InfoWorld;04/20/98, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p72D
Illustrates how the use of off-site intranets can be advantageous for companies. Benefits of colocation; Details about the operations of intranet services firm AboveNet Communications; Security concerns.