- Bookshelf. Harris, Caitlin Stewart // China Business Review;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p51
Reviews the book `Capitalizing on the Global Workforce: A Strategic Guide for Expatriate Management,' by Michael S. Schell and Charlene Marmer Solomon.
- New books & reports. // Business America;Dec96, Vol. 117 Issue 12, p30
Presents the book `Capitalizing on the Global Workforce: A Strategic Guide to Expatriate Management,' by Michael S. Schell and Charlene Marmer Solomon. Offer of suggestions on developing an effective global workforce; Contact information.
- Synergy myth. Geneen, Harold // Executive Excellence;Aug97, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p5
Criticizes the concept of `synergy' in industrial management. Use of the concept to describe the future of a corporate merger and a corporate strategy; Myths associated with the concept.
- Balance ethics with control and compliance. McAvoy, Sherrie G. // Executive Excellence;Aug97, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p11
Discusses the need for corporations for an effective control and compliance program that addresses threats to their continued success. Types of risks; Evaluation of a control and compliance program; Executives' need to rethink their existing control, compliance and ethics programs.
- Anticipatory strategy. Prestwood, Donna C.L.; Schumann Jr., Paul A. // Executive Excellence;Oct97, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p14
Offers tips for executives on how to create an good anticipatory strategy. Need to determine the opportunities and threats from outside the enterprise; Importance of knowing an enterprise's capacity for development; Necessity of determining an enterprise capability to anticipate and respond to...
- Creating advantages. Porter, Michael // Executive Excellence;Dec97, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p17
Discusses the need for executives to adapt and implement business strategies for the 21st century. Companies' need to find ways to build advantages rather than just eliminating disadvantage; Four principles of strategy; Importance of innovation; Effect of globalization.
- From independence to interdependence. Covey, Stephen R. // Executive Excellence;Mar1998, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p5
Focuses on the need for an organization to have a supportive environment that features internal cooperation and external competition. Interdependent nature of business; Importance of partnering, collaborating and cooperating with all stakeholders; Resistance to value-added teamwork and...
- Why employees are so angry. Flynn, Gillian // Workforce (10928332);Sep98, Vol. 77 Issue 9, p26
Discusses the gap between expectations and reality in human resource management. Problems caused by spin cycle in business; How human resources (HR) can protect both the company and the employees; What a human resource professional must do in order to be effective. INSETS: Getting rid of...
- Memory bankers. Mayo, Andrew // People Management;01/22/98, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p34
Advocates knowledge management as a vehicle that personnel professionals should employ to add value to businesses. Upsurge of interest in intellectual capital by personnel professionals; Factors that heightened interest in knowledge management; Processes involved in a knowledge management...