Weathermen may be worried about El Nino, but muni fund
- What you haven't heard about El Nino. Michaels, Patrick J. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Apr98, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p23
Discusses the economic impact of El Nino in the United States. Amount saved by the Americans in heating bills during Winter 1997; Effect of El Nino on hurricanes; Worth of benefits generated by El Nino.
- Silver-lining department. Koerner, Brendan I.; Walt, Vivienne // U.S. News & World Report;10/06/97, Vol. 123 Issue 13, p22
Describes how businesses in California are capitalizing on the hysteria surrounding El Nino. The playing to people's fears of what nature has in store; The reports of gouging of panic stricken customers by unscrupulous repairmen; How insurance vendors are capitalizing; How the hysteria as...
- El Nino pounds California, produce prices to suffer. Liddle, Alan // Nation's Restaurant News;03/02/98, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p5
Focuses on the economic impact of the El Nino in California. Fluctuation in prices of farm produce; Damage to properties; Losses incurred by business owners.
- Blame it on the weather. Morgan, Tom // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;12/22/97, Vol. 11 Issue 26, p5
Explains the El Nino weather phenomenon and its economic consequences. Includes increase in commodity prices; Bonanza for investors holding catastrophe bonds of insurance companies; Other phenomena for which El Nino can be blamed.
- Ag industry looks at El Nino as mixed blessing. Broderick, Pat // San Diego Business Journal;10/27/97, Vol. 18 Issue 43, p1
Focuses on the effects of the weather system, El Nino on the agriculture industry in San Diego, California. Effects of the rain on avocado growers; Way in which El Nino will affect nursery crops; Comments from Phil Henry, vice president of Henry Avocado Packing Company; Details on the effect of...
- Stormy weather. Scheidel, Carmen C.; Boisclair, Marc // Restaurant Business;11/01/97, Vol. 96 Issue 21, p25
Discusses the effects of the El Nino phenomenon to California restaurateurs. Cost damage of the El Nino; Why property damage is a big concern in the restaurant industry.
- Most parts of U.S. had lower-than-average energy needs... // American Gas;Jun98, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p18
Reports that El Nino brought most homeowners in the United States lower heating and cooling bills between November 1, 1997 and March 31, 1998 according to the CNG Energy Index. Regions around the country with below normal heating and cooling needs; Analysis of the results of the evaluation;...
- Drought devastates lands without hope. Perry, Bronwen // Geodate;Jul98, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p8
Discusses the effects of drought in the Southeast Asian region in 1998. Estimated cost of damage due to the drought; Effects of El Nino to the economy; Impact of forest fires in Vietnam.
- Job machine slows--blame El Nino, but watch Asia. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;4/6/98, Vol. 90 Issue 90, p1
Reports the feeling of economists that the United States economy may have been overperforming because of the El-Nino induced warm weather in January and February 1998. American job machine slowing; Concerns about Japan's economy; Shrinking national payroll and a drop in the growth of hourly wages.