Foster Grandparent reading program
- Literary leaps. Kelly, Elizabeth; Fallows, Carol // Australia's Parents;Jun/Jul98, Issue 105, p62
Presents information on the `Making Up Time Lost in Literacy' literacy program in Australia, which is geared towards primary school students. Features of the program; Success of the program.
- Rule' Elementary excel at reading. // Twin Cities News (Munday, TX);6/14/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 19, p1
The article reports on Rule Elementary students' participation in the Accelerated Readers program in Texas.
- Johnny Can Read in Joplin. Tunley, Roul // Saturday Evening Post;10/26/1957, Vol. 230 Issue 17, p27
The article focuses on the reading program for school children in Joplin, Missouri. Most of the children in Joplin who have reached the fourth grade love to read. It describes a typical reading class. The reading program at Joplin recognizes that some students are brighter than others at...
- Cross-age reading: A strategy for helping poor readers. Labbo, Linda D.; Teale, William H. // Reading Teacher;Feb90, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p362
Discusses the use of a cross-age reading program as a strategy for helping poor readers in the fifth grade. Lines of research that contributed to the design of the study; Subjects and design; Pretests; Instructional programs; Post-testing; Case studies.
- 'Share a Story' night has many happy endings. Tungate, Matthew // Kentucky Teacher;Feb2010, p9
The article offers information on the Unite to Read statewide literacy project in Kentucky in 2010. According to Reeca Carver, program consultant at the Kentucky Department of Education, Unite to Read is aimed to boost lifelong reading and literacy among schoolchildren. It states that each...
- Home Office research. Hubbard, Ben // Education Journal;Feb2002, Issue 60, p31
Comments on the community-based CHANCE intervention program, which pairs adult mentors with at-risk primary school children in Great Britain. Key features of the program; Need for further development to meet the program's goals; Policy implications on education.
- Project Literacy. Henes, Donna // Appleseeds;Sep2005, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p5
This article reports on how the two sisters, Estephania Chavez and Esperanza Chavez, established a community-based literacy program in Denver to improve the learning of elementary kids. When Estephania and Esperanza Chavez were 13 and 14-years old, they learned that their Denver middle school...
- Parents & Educators on the Same Page for Reading & Writing. // Curriculum Review;Sep2007, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p10
The article reports on the Language Arts Literacy Night, participated by teachers and administrators from the North Brunswick Township Public Schools in New Jersey. The event was held to introduce parents to each grade level curriculum in an effort to give them insight into what their children...
- Weak teaching renders targets unlikely: Ofsted. Hubbard, Ben // Education (14637073);12/12/2003, Issue 124, p1
Reports on the impact of inadequate teaching on government's effort to improve literacy and numeracy skills among primary pupils in England. Percentage of 11-year-olds achieving the required standards in mathematics and English by 2006; Extent of knowledge of teachers in their subjects; Effect...