California controller aiming to push for biennial budget
- California official reveals plan to bridge financial gap with local governments. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;08/20/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30709, p6
Reports on the proposal of California Controller Kathleen Connell to bridge financial gap between the state and local governments. Funds that will be generated for the municipalities; Key concepts of the proposal.
- Education and the State Budget Squeeze. Pipho, Chris // Phi Delta Kappan;Apr89, Vol. 70 Issue 8, p582
Examines the education and state budget of the United States. Total deficit of states and local government in their operating budget in 1988; Trend toward budgetary imbalance; Sources of revenue for the education system; West Virginia Governor Gaston Caperton's plan to improve funding for his...
- Pennsylvania Stuck With Bare-Bones Budget for Holiday. D'Ambrosio, Gillian // Bond Buyer;7/03/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31670, p4
Reports that Pennsylvania is likely to head the July 04, 2003 holiday weekend operating under a basic state budget. Possible introduction of an economic stimulus package; Tax structure in the budget; Ratings assigned to state's general obligation debt by various ratings agencies.
- How to solve the budget crisis in three easy steps. McClintock, Tom // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;2/7/2003, Issue 323044, p29
Presents an opinion on how the state of California can solve its budget crisis. Arrest of growth in future spending; Comprehensive review of all state agencies and programs; Restoration of a constitutional spending limit.
- WHAT STATES ARE THRIVING? // Business NH Magazine;Nov2015, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p12
The article presents the rankings of New England states based on their financial health between 2003 and 2013 including Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.
- California Controller Deems $7.5B Warrant Deal Necessary. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;4/25/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31373, p1
Reports the issuing revenues anticipation warrants in payment of bills by the state of California. Ability to pay obligations; Request of Kathleen Connell, controller, to Governor Gray Davis on set up of revolving funds; Proceeds of the warrants forwarded to revenue; Integration of financial...
- The State They're In. Resnick, Amy B. // Financial Planning;Apr2003, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p30
Presents a chart on the U.S. state budget conditions as of April 2003.
- Florida's Bush Signs $53.5 Billion Budget, Minus Rail Money. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/24/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31663, p32
Governor of Florida Jeb Bush on June 23, 2003 announced he was vetoing most of the funding for the state's high-speed rail project and then signed the $53.5 billion state budget into law. Bush specifically referred to the estimated $38 billion budget deficit in California. Bush struck from the...
- Maryland Has a Surplus for Now, But $400 Million Gap Lies Ahead. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;8/29/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31709, p4
Reports that Maryland Comptroller, William D. Schaefer, announced on August 28, 2003 that the state finished the fiscal year 2003 in the black although ongoing revenues were less than expected and the state still faces a hefty 400 million dollar budget gap in fiscal 2005. Impact of a boost in...