- ELEMENTOS PARA DISCUSSÃƒO DA ESCRAVIDÃƒO CONTEMPORÃ‚NEA COMO PRÃTICA DE GESTÃƒO. OFENHEJM MASCARENHAS, ANDRÉ; GONÇALVES DIAS, SYLMARA LOPES; MARTINS BAPTISTA, RODRIGO // RAE: Revista de AdministraÃ§Ã£o de Empresas;mar/abr2015, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p175
Contemporary slavery is embedded in market relations between global organizations and their suppliers, and involves people management practices that injure human rights such as curtailing freedom, degrading conditions of work and exhausting journey. The article analyzes the slave labor in Brazil...
- Slave labor alleged on Burma oil project. // National Catholic Reporter;5/26/95, Vol. 31 Issue 30, p6
Alleges that United States, French and Thai oil companies use slave labor to build the Tavoy natural gas pipeline, a joint project with Burma's military regime. Warnings made in September 1994 by Ruprecht von Arnim, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Thailand; Interviews on...
- Plaques placed in Capitol recognize slaves who constructed building. Zimmermann, Eric // Hill;6/17/2010, Vol. 17 Issue 69, p30
The article reports that top four congressional leaders unveiled a pair of plaques to memorialize the slave labor that contributed to the construction of the Capitol building.
- Laogai: The Chinese gulag. // World & I;Jun93, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p34
Discusses the role China's network of prison labor camps plays in its export drive. Laogai as instruments of political control; Prisoner numbers and basic categories; Integrating thought reform; Expanding laogai production capabilities ; Technological advancement of forced labor products;...
- ADOLESCENT WORKERS IN THIRD WORLD EXPORT INDUSTRIES: ATTITUDES OF YOUNG BRAZILIAN SHOEMAKERS. French, J. Lawrence // Industrial & Labor Relations Review;Jan2002, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p308
Child labor is widely condemned, but recently there have been calls to distinguish between acceptable and harmful work for adolescents. This study, based on data gathered in 1998 in Brazil?s export-oriented shoe industry and in the local commercial sector, focuses on adolescents? attitudes...
- `I knew I was their only voice' Maynard, Joyce // Redbook;Jul2000, Vol. 195 Issue 1, p122
Details the efforts of Julie Su, a lawyer, to help several Thai immigrant workers who were victims of slave labor in California.
- Discussing Slave Labourers in Nazi Germany: Topography of Research or Politics of Memory? Schmidt, U. // German History;Oct2001, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p408
Presents highlights of the conference on slave laborers in Nazi Germany held at the Institute for Social Movements. Improvement of the processing of compensation application of slaves; Clarification on political, historical, economic, archival and moral issues in academic and public debate;...
- The labor trade in Melanesians to Queensland: An historiographic essay. Munro, Doug // Journal of Social History;Spring95, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p609
Describes and accounts for literature resulting from 62,000 contracts of indenture involved in the labor trade in Melanesians to Queensland in 1863-1906. Revisionist interpretations of the late 1960s and early 1970s; Emphasis on the Melanesian agency; Comparison with American slavery...
- Of human bondage. Godrej, Dinyar // New Internationalist;Aug2001, Issue 337, p9
Comments on the global existence of human slavery in the 21st century. Testimony of Domenica and Tara; Impact of slavery on the world economy; Implication of poverty for human slavery; Effectiveness of the educational activities in resolving slavery crisis.