Affirmative action programs remain outlawed as Supreme
- Affirmative-action politics. // Christian Science Monitor;6/12/95, Vol. 87 Issue 137, p20
Editorial. Discusses California Governor Pete Wilson's order to eliminate racial or gender preferences from the state's hiring and contracting procedures. Details.
- California's Wilson plays affirmative-action card. Wood, Daniel B. // Christian Science Monitor;6/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 131, p3
Reports on the Californian Governor Pete Wilson's attempts to take the initiative on the issue of affirmative action by signing an executive order to dismantle a wide range of hiring practices in the state. Discussion on the impact of the order; Contents of the order; Critics' comments;...
- Is it a time for mending or ending? Schneider, William // National Journal;7/29/96, Vol. 28 Issue 30, p1982
Assesses the affirmative action plan under President Bill Clinton. Possible sources of abuses in affirmative action and ways to resolve them; Distinction between acceptable measures of affirmative action and reverse discrimination; California Governor Pete Wilson's criticism of affirmative...
- Cultural warefare may hurt Wilson this time. // San Diego Business Journal;8/7/95, Vol. 16 Issue 32, p10
Editorial. Asserts that California Governor Pete Wilson's negative stance toward affirmative action may make his presidential bid backfire. Percentage of Americans in favor of affirmative action; Cancellation of the meeting of the National Bar of African-American Lawyers; Wilson's cultural policy.
- Pete Wilson. // U.S. News & World Report;8/21/95, Vol. 119 Issue 8, p14
Focuses on California Governor Pete Wilson. His persuasion of the University of California to drop race and gender requirements in admissions, hiring and contract decisions; His other challenges to affirmative action requirements.
- Pete Wilson's finest hour. Eastland, Terry // American Spectator;Jan1996, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p60
Reports on Pete Wilson's, California governor, attack on affirmative action. Executive order repealed; Programs eliminated; Lawsuits filed.
- Affirmative action suit dismissed. Jacobius, Arleen // ABA Journal;Mar1996, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p40
Reports on the California Supreme Court's rule regarding Governor Pete Wilson plan to overturn five statutory affirmative action plans. Wilson's plan to refile his lawsuit at the trial level; Wilson's support of law schools' moves to end consideration of ethnicity and gender in admissions.
- California reverses affirmative-action rules. Laabs, Jennifer J. // Personnel Journal;Jul95, Vol. 74 Issue 7, p11
Reports on California Governor Pete Wilson's executive orders reversing affirmative-action rules. Impact of affirmative-action programs on color blindness in hiring; Elimination of government-set requirements and guidelines intended to counteract discrimination.
- Equal op? C.M. // Entrepreneur;Jun98, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p19
Looks at how minority and women owned businesses have been affected by an order by California Governor Pete Wilson, which terminated all affirmative action programs and regulations guiding state contracting opportunities. Views of entrepreneurs on the order; Comment from Mary Ann Mitchell,...