Facing a massive judgment, Montana considers its optins
- Still Time to Get Stimulus Money. // American Indian Report;Apr2009, p16
The article discuses the author's insight about the federal funding for Indian tribes as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- Cree confusion. Milke, Mark // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;1/27/97, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p18
Focuses on divisions which have arisen in the Fort McMurray First Nations Native American band. Two splinter groups; Dissention within the splinter groups; Elder Raphael Cree; His potential role in mediating the disputes separating the various factions.
- Native Nations, not feds, should grant tribal recognition. COLBERT, J. D. // Native American Times;10/14/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p5
The author comments that Native American tribes must have tribal recognition by the U.S. government since the United Nations accepted the National Transitional Council as the official government of Libya during its civil war.
- OKLAHOMA TRIBAL DIRECTORY. // Native American Times;3/26/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 13, Special section p30
A directory of Indian tribes in Oklahoma is presented.
- Federally recognized nations and tribes. // Rourke's Native American History & Culture Encyclopedia;Mar2009, Issue 3, p44
Information on federally recognized nations and tribes which share legal relationship with the U.S. is presented.
- Court rules for tribe in HUD funding dispute. // Native American Times;6/19/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 24, p1
The article discusses a court case wherein the United Keetoowah tribe sued the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for withdrawing funds from the tribe. The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court ruling upholding the decision to withdraw the tribe's funds on grounds that...
- Prop. 1A win: Calif. Indians raise stakes in casino war with Vegas. Spector, Amy // Nation's Restaurant News;03/20/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p6
Reports on the passage of Proposition 1A, which allows Indian tribes in California to operate Las Vegas-style gaming and casinos on tribal lands. Impact of the measure on the market for hypertheme, restaurant-dense megaresorts; Major casino operators that are looking to secure a share of the...
- Big plans for gambling casinos are off and running after March election. Lockhart, Lee // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;03/27/2000, Issue 322595, p34
Discusses the impact of the approval of Proposition 1A on the operation of casinos in California. Authorization to operate slot machines and additional card games by Indian tribes; Approval by the state legislature of bill permitting cruise ship gambling.
- Fighting the Bureaucracy Once Again. Bell, Rick // San Diego Business Journal;11/20/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p58
Comments on the interference of bureaucrats in the Indian tribal negotiations for development projects in San Diego, California. Reasons for the delay in road improvement permits; Concerns for the potential effect of casinos; Details on the negotiation between county officials and local tribes.