IRS finds `significant' noncompliance in preliminary
- IRS' Owens featured at ASAE town hall. // Association Management;Apr97, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p10
Reports on a request by the United States Internal Revenue Service Exempt Organizations Division Director Marcus Owens, concerning suggestion which would improve IRS guidance in the area of tax compliance. Identification of strategies which may alleviate compliance burdens on tax-exempt...
- IRS agents to specialize in tax-exempt bond audits. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;11/07/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30269, p1
Reports on the plan of US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in Washington to replicate its Southeast district's dedicated tax exempt bond audit group in three districts. Purpose of the plan; Views of Marcus Owens, head of the agency's exempt organizations division, about the auditing change;...
- IRS official addresses lobby tax, associate member dues. // Association Management;Nov95, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p9
Reports that the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has no new guides on lobby tax according to IRS official Marcus Owens. Requirement for associations in documenting member involvement for exemption purposes.
- IDBs exhibit more problems than expected, IRS agent says. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;03/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30848, p1
Focuses on problems with small-issue industrial development bonds (IDB) issued by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS), that could have rendered the debt taxable. Likelihood that the IRS would audit several stadium and solid-waste bond issues in the year 2000; Efforts of the IRS and...
- IRS Expansion of IDB Audit Program Will Survey Issuers on Compliance. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;10/09/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30496, p10
Discloses United States Internal Revenue Service's planned expansion of qualified small-issue industrial development bond audit program. Initiation of a survey to determine compliance with tax-exempt bond rules; Attempt to ensure tax exemptions on small-issue private-activity bonds.
- IRS' Owens predicts continued focus on royalties during UBIT town hall. // Association Management;Jun98, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p8
Reports on US Internal Revenue Service officer Marcus Owens' pronouncement that his agency will not back down from its strict interpretation of the royalty exception to the unrelated business income tax. Taxability of affinity credit card program revenue and income from mailing list rentals;...
- IRS' Marcus Owens ready to retire. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;10/28/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30757, p7
Reports on the plan of Marcus Owens, director of the United States Internal Revenue Services Exempt Organization Division, to retire.
- Nonprofits lawyer leaves IRS for law firm. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;02/03/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30821, p32
Reports on Marcus Owens' resignation from the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to join the law firm of Caplin and Drysdale. Owens' role in increasing IRS efforts to audit the municipal bond industry; Mark Scott's replacement of Owens; Owens' focus on tax-exempt organizations at the...
- Back to the Blacklist. Collins, Bruce D. // InsideCounsel;Jul2009, Vol. 20 Issue 211, p70
The author opines that the procedure used by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in examining tax-exempt nonprofit organizations that are suspected to be subversive organizations is nefarious, insidious and un-American. He thinks that the process is a destruction of the reputation and...