Activists pressing court challenge to controversial L.A.
- United States v. Newdunn. // National Wetlands Newsletter;Mar/Apr2002, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p22
Cites a case involving the question of jurisdiction between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Newdunn Associates. Contention on Virginia's wetland protection law and the utilization of 38 acres of wetlands without federal or state permits; Ruling in favor of Newdunn Associates.
- U.S. challenges wetlands ruling. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;01/26/98, Vol. 240 Issue 4, p32
Reports in January 1998, that federal officials asked the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals to revisit its decision in the `U.S. v. Wilson' case, which restricts the Corps of Engineers regulatory control over wetlands. Description of the decision that court gave; Position of the federal officials.
- Weakening of law to save wetlands triggers NWF suit. // International Wildlife;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p27
Reports on the National Wildlife Federation's Alaska Natural Resource Center's filing of a lawsuit against the US Army Corps of Engineers for allowing the city of Juneau to administer the critical permit process for draining wetlands. City's granting of a permit for a sand and gravel pit in a...
- Wetlands decision by highest court has opened the door for developers. Horder, Richard // National Real Estate Investor;Apr2001, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p128
Discusses the ruling of the United States (U.S.) Supreme Court on the case of the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County in Chicago, Illinois versus the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Facts of the case; Information on Section 404 of the Clean Water Act that requires permit application for...
- The Changing Wetland Legal Landscape: Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Keating, David M. // Appraisal Journal;Jul2001, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p283
Focuses on a study which described the history of laws and public policies governing wetlands in the United States (U.S.) and how the laws and policies affected the Supreme Court's decision in the case Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County versus U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Implications...
- National Mining Association v. Army Corps of Engineers. Morrison, Douglas E. // Ecology Law Quarterly;2000, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p649
Examines the impact of the National Mining Association versus the United States Army Corps of Engineers case on the Corps' regulation of wetland excavation under the Clean Water Act (CWA). History of the regulation on the excavation of wetlands; Regulation of dredging under CWA; Conclusion.
- Corps fails to win criminal rehearing. // Pit & Quarry;Mar98, Vol. 90 Issue 9, p6
Reports that the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals has rejected the Army Corps of Engineers' plea to rehear the government's criminal case against developer James Wilson, Interstate General Co. and Saint Charles Associates. Decision that would limit the agency's authority to regulate wetlands in...
- A Clash Over Wetlands. Slade, David C. // World & I;Dec2000, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p46
Examines the Supreme Court case which involved Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) versus the United States Corps of Engineers which deals with the jurisdiction of the Corps on a wetland in Illinois. Facts of the case; Why the Corps changed its position regarding the use of a...
- NAHB sues over permit charges. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;03/17/97, Vol. 238 Issue 11, p21
Reports on a lawsuit filed by the National Association of Home Builders against the US Army Corps of Engineers. Lawsuit for disallowing public comment in issuing new rules that will affect a broad wetlands construction permit involving the organization.