Grunts, bleats and bawls calling all deer!
- Hunters in the Storm. Hurteau, Dave // Field & Stream;Jan2002, Vol. 106 Issue 9, p17
Presents tips for deer hunting management. Behavior of deer before, during and after storm; Description of the wind associated with the storm; Eating patterns of deer.
- Hayfield Fever. Fever, Hayfield; Wells, Curt // Bowhunter;Nov2001 Special Issue, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p80
Focuses on the hunting techniques for meadow deers in South Dakota. Construction of pop-up ground blind like round haybale; Concerns on the hunting permission; Knowledge on deer movement in hayfields. INSET: Gearing Up.
- THE GUN NUT FUNDAMENTALS. // Field & Stream;Jul2010, Vol. 115 Issue 3, p46
The article presents tips on timing when hunting deer and explains a few examples of deer body language that should alert the hunter to whether it is spooked or placid.
- Tough talk. Hanback, Michael // Outdoor Life;Nov97, Vol. 200 Issue 4, p46
Offers tips on calling deer to come to a hunter's stand. Clashing a set of horns to imitate the sound of two deer tangling with their racks; Use of rutting horn to stimulate bucks that are horsing around or testing each other's dominance; Huffing air up from the diaphragm while saying `ecc' or...
- Scrapes don't work (the way you think they do). Winke, Bill // Outdoor Life;Nov97, Vol. 200 Issue 4, p60
Focuses on why deer make scrapes. Deposition of scent when bucks make scrapes; Leaving of saliva and secretions from the preorbital glands on the overhanging branch called licking branch; Urination over hock glands dribbling scent onto the scrape itself; Misconceptions about scrapes; Hub or...
- Pressure Plays. Winke, Bill // Outdoor Life;Nov98, Vol. 202 Issue 4, p54
Reports on the use of understanding deer behavior when hunting. Importance of staying in one position; Identifying probable escape routes of deer; Best hunting strategies. INSET: Patience Pointers.
- Doewatch. Doggett, Joe // Field & Stream;Aug94, Vol. 99 Issue 4, p43
Discusses the role of a doe in deer hunting. Anecdotes; Keen senses of female deer; Opportunities presented by a doe in estrus.
- A Buck in the Snow. Barsness, John // Field & Stream;Oct99, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p54
Describes hunting for a deer with antlers as big around as his ears during winter in Montana. Gross Boone and Crockett score; Hunter's attribution of prize to luck.
- The Beanfield Monster. Bestul, Scott // Field & Stream;Oct99, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p58
Narrates hunting for a ten-point deer in Minnesota. Sighting of deer feeding in a beanfield; Behavior of mature bucks; Dealing with buck fever.