Fixed-term contracts may not be quick fix
- Reasonable doubts hit discretionary powers. Aikin, Olga // People Management;02/08/96, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p45
Reports on the efforts of courts in Great Britain to cut down the considerable leeway which employers enjoy from flexible contractual terms. Terms used by employers in avoiding practical and legal difficulties inherent in changing contracts; Insights from court cases concerning contracts;...
- Hold on to your assets. // Management Today;Nov96, p8
Focuses on the need for restrictive covenants in British employment contracts that forbids employees from taking competitive advantage with the company as they change jobs. Need for contracts that imply mutual responsibilities; Reasonableness as a legal test of the restrictive covenant;...
- Negotiating employment agreements. Miller, Lee E. // Management Review;Jan97, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p62
Discusses the emergence of negotiations for employment agreements in the wake of company mergers which has resulted to the lay-off of thousands of employees. How these contracts are routinely being requested at every level; Advantages of employment agreements; How they define when and under...
- Demystifying Common Terms in Employment Agreements. Burke, Michael R. // Family Practice Management;Jun2003, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p38
Explains terms used in employment agreements in the U.S. Evergreen provisions; Provision of prior written notice on intention to terminate agreement; Determination of sole discretion by the employer; Presence of both nonsolicitation clauses and restrictive covenants.
- A manager's guide to employment contracts. Egler, Theresa Donahue // HRMagazine;May96, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p28
Focuses on employment contracts from a manager's perspective. Employment-at-will doctrine; Duties and benefits; Noncompete provision; Severability clauses.
- Are non-compete clauses enforceable? Brown, Stanley J.; Bruce, Andrea // Public Relations Tactics;Dec97, Vol. 4 Issue 12, p10
Focuses on the issue of the enforceability of non-compete clauses in employment contracts. Trend affecting court rulings on non-compete clauses; Three elements present to enforce such clauses.
- NYC may face labor variable. // Waste News;01/20/97, Vol. 2 Issue 35, p8
Editorial. Focuses on the labor contract reached between the Teamsters and demolition haulers in New York City in January 1997. Provisions of the three-year deal.
- The employment contract--the linchpin. // Management;Oct95, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p19
Discusses the purpose of the employment contract. Use in solving underlying corporate problems; Effects to employees.
- Sign on the dotted line. Holmes, Athina; Hayes, Cassandra // Black Enterprise;Nov96, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p59
Focuses on employment contracts. Binding agreement between the company and an employee; Terms and conditions of the job; Virtues of contracts.