A view from Jeanne Paratore
Tags: FAMILY literacy programs
- Competence-Based Staff Training and Evaluation in a Family Literacy Program. Brown, Cheryl // International Journal of Reality Therapy;Fall2002, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p42
This certification week presentation highlights the process of developing Competence-Based Training and Evaluation within the Family Learning and Health Pilot Project, an initiative of the Saint John Learning Exchange. The article gives a brief background of the organization, discusses old...
- Young children and reading: Trends across the twentieth century. Teale, William H. // Journal of Education;1995, Vol. 177 Issue 3, p95
Provides a history of views and practices related to the development of literacy in both preschool and primary grade children in the United States. Description of what has been tried in early childhood reading education; Twentieth-century reading instruction in the United States; Preschool...
- Family literacy: School programs can make a difference. Handel, Ruth D. // Reading Today;Dec94/Jan95, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p16
Discusses the impact of school programs in family literacy. Provision of goal 8 in the Goals 2000: Educate America Act; Sources of family literacy programs; Partnership for Family Reading as a collaboration of Newark, New Jersey schools and Montclair State University; Steps in planning process...
- Family literacy--a secondary initiative the Archway project. Buckeridge, Gill // Adults Learning;Sep96, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on family literacy, and its effects on families. Relationship between a parent's literacy and his/her children's abilities in mathematics and reading; Information on work done by the Adult Basic Education (ABE) tutors; Efforts by Archway and Jane Palmer of Stroud College's ABE to help...
- Family literacy. Tice, Terrence N. // Education Digest;Sep94, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p42
Focuses on the need for family literacy programs in schools as discussed in the November 1993 issue of the `Reading Teacher.' Survey of research and programs by Lesley Mandel Morrow, Jeanne Paratore and associates of the International Association's Commission on Family Literacy.
- Family literacy: Examining practice and issues of effectiveness. DeBruin-Parecki, Andrea; Paris, Scott G. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;May97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p596
Details the findings of a study conducted for the United States National Center on Adult Literacy which evaluates the range of family literacy programs in Michigan. Impact of high levels of adult education on both the income level and the educational future of the children in a family; Maple...
- The effectiveness of family literacy programmes in England and Wales for parents. Brooks, Greg // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Oct98, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p130
Evaluates the effectiveness of family literacy programs in England and Wales for parents. Main findings for parents; Goals achieved by the family literacy programs; Factors attributing to the success of the programs.
- Family literacy in urban schools: Meeting the needs of at-risk children. Come, Barbara; Fredericks, Anthony D. // Reading Teacher;Apr95, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p566
Outlines approaches for developing school outreach programs. Criteria of success of programs in urban areas; Details of the family literacy program at Pulaski Elementary School in Savannah, Georgia; Brief on parents' workshop; Program strategies.
- Project FLAME: Lessons learned from a family literacy program for linguistic minority families. Shanahan, Timothy; Mulhern, Margaret // Reading Teacher;Apr95, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p586
Answers issues related to FLAME (Family Literacy: Aprendiendo, Mejorando, Educando), family literacy program. Assumptions underlying the program; Clarification of issues related to, inter alia, development of family literacy curriculum, language of instruction, cultural content to the program. ...
- The family portfolio: Using authentic assessment in family literacy programs. Hoffman, J. Loraine // Reading Teacher;Apr95, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p594
Focuses on the importance of family portfolio in the evaluation of family literacy programs. Definition of portfolio; Aim and content of portfolio; Portfolio conference guidelines; Analysis of portfolio.