- Planet-friendly plastics would decompose harmlessly. Charberlain, Gary // Design News;4/5/99, Vol. 55 Issue 7, p23
Reports on the biodegradable plastic developed by Mrinal Bhattacharya and his colleagues at the University of Minnesota. Starch-based plastic; Cost of the starch used to create the plastic.
- Degradable plastics strengthen. EK // Chemical Week;10/27/1993, Vol. 153 Issue 15, p41
Reports on the degradable market's growth niche in the plastics industry. Growth in consumption of degradable plastics; Novon company's starch-based polymers; Zeneca's Biopol polyhydroxybutyrate resin; Ecostar's starch and `pro-oxidant' additives.
- Everything's coming up plastic. // American Nurseryman;4/15/95, Vol. 181 Issue 8, p14
Highlights the researches on biodegradable plastics, done in Western Europe and in the United States. Potato starch-based bioplastic; Adding cornstarch to biodegradable plastic.
- Starch-based foam composite materials: Processing and bioproducts. Glenn, Gregory M.; Imam, Syed H.; Orts, William J. // MRS Bulletin;Sep2011, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p696
Starch is an abundant, biodegradable, renewable, and low-cost commodity that has been explored as a replacement for petroleum-based plastics. By itself, starch is a poor replacement for plastics because of its moisture sensitivity and brittle properties. Using starch as a fermentation feedstock,...
- One-Pot Synthesis of Gelatinized Maize Starch-Graft-Polyacrylic Acid Films. Edeleva, Mariya; Grekova, Alexandra; Khlestkin, Vadim // Advanced Materials Research;2014, Issue 1040, p331
In this article we provide results on the preparation of starch-based block copolymer with polyacrylic acid by radical polymerization. Starch was pregelatinized and then reacted with acrylic acid in the presence of radical polymerization initiator. Resulting mixture was used to prepare...
- Plastic degrades under soil or sea. Joyce, Mary E. // Design News;9/4/89, Vol. 45 Issue 17, p64
Reports on the usability of cornstarch in forming a biodegradable plastic, according to Ramani Narayan, research associate with Purdue's Laboratory for Renewable Resources Engineering in West Lafayette, Indiana. Combination of plastics with petroleum-based polymers with natural polymers, such as...
- EL PROBLEMA DE LA HIDROFILICIDAD EN MATERIALES PLÃSTICOS DERIVADOS DE ALMIDÃ“N. CERON M., ALCY RENE // BiotecnologÃa en el Sector Agropecuario y Agroindustrial;2013 supplement, p41
Starch is a renewable and cheap natural polysaccharide from that is easily to make biodegradable plastic products. However, its products have low mechanical properties and tend to change its properties in the presence of water. For reduce the problems caused for water in the plastic product...
- Plastic starch injection molds, degrades. // Design News;3/26/90, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p35
Reports on Warner-Lambert Co. scientists' transformation of conventional starch into a biodegradable material with many of the characteristics of plastics. Production of substitutes for many materials using annually renewable agricultural crops such as corn and potatoes; Marketing of the...
- Degradable additive maker moves, scales up capacity. // Plastics Technology;Aug95, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p59
Reports on Willow Ridge Plastics Inc.'s relocation from Decatur, Illinois to Erlanger, Kentucky. New address and telephone number; Properties of the company's three-starch-based additives; Properties of the company's non-starch additives.
- Bio-degradable plastics. // Popular Plastics & Packaging;Sep2013, Vol. 58 Issue 9, p35
The article discusses the potential role of bio-based plastics or biodegradable plastics in reducing dependence on fossil fuels and protecting the environment. It addresses the development or discovery of polymers from renewable feed stocks such as starch, polylactic acid (PLA) and...