Air traffic controllers pilot paperless centre
- FAA speeds controller hiring to solve one... Proctor, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;6/27/1988, Vol. 128 Issue 26, p77
The FAA is streamlining its controller hiring and training in the Great Lakes Region in an effort to eliminate chronic staffing shortages it believes are a primary cause of increased operational errors at Chicago-O'Hare Airport. Staffing problem; FAA investigation into errors and program to...
- At air traffic control school, it helps to memorize in your sleep. Chiles, J.R.; Ferorelli, E. // Smithsonian;Jan90, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p122
Reports on how students in a grueling eight week course at the Federal Aviation Administration Academy in Oklahoma learn if they have what it takes to be air traffic controllers. History of air traffic controlling; Job difficulties and pressures;Profile of a high-pressure course.
- FAA: English ATC standards needed. Nordwall, Bruce D. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;9/29/1997, Vol. 147 Issue 13, p46
Reports that the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the General Accounting Office (GAO) told Congress that more needs to be done to ensure foreign air traffic controllers and pilots have the English proficiency to handle emergency and non-standard situations. Background on the...
- Air traffic control keeps Merritt Field flying high. Laborde, K.P. // Marines;May94, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p6
Discusses the process of becoming an air traffic controller in the Air Traffic Control Section at Merritt Field, MCAS Beaufort, South Carolina. Training at NAS Memphis, Tennessee; Operating positions in the radar branch; Final approach controller; Approach flight data controller; Arrival...
- FAA's controller training to come under scrutiny. // Air Traffic Management;Spring2012, Issue 1, p13
The article reports that the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) air traffic controller training will be re-examined by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Office of Inspector General.
- Skyguide training centre accredited. // Air Traffic Management;Spring2010, Issue 1, p14
The article reports on the accreditation of Skyguide training center, the only training institution for air traffic controllers in Switzerland by the country's Federal Office of Professional Technology (OPET).
- Russian ATC training. Proctor, Paul // Aviation Week & Space Technology;5/2/1994, Vol. 140 Issue 18, p13
Reports on the Russian air traffic control division, Rosaeronavigatsiya's sending of controllers to the University of North Dakota to upgrade their English and air traffic control skills. Better accommodation of American flights routing through Russian airspace.
- FAA Academy prepares for advanced ATC system Proctor, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;8/15/1988, Vol. 129 Issue 7, p36
Discusses preparations being made by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Academy in Oklahoma City to meet substantial new controller training requirements associated with delivery of advanced air traffic control system hardware. Academy planners are continuing to emphasize follow-on...
- Curriculum, classroom competition on narrow. Proctor, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;8/15/1988, Vol. 129 Issue 7, p39
Discusses the curriculum and competition at the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Academy for air traffic controllers. Applicants must be 18 to 30 years old, US citizens, and score over 75.1 percent on the entrance test, as well as have work experience or some college, and pass medical and...