How studying the law can boost your skills
- Legal Insight. Flynn, Gillian; Hatch, D. Diane; Hall, James E.; Miklave, Matthew T.; Trafimow, A. Jonathan // Workforce;Feb2001, Vol. 80 Issue 2, p94
Discusses several issues concerning labor laws and human resource management. Information on Family and Medical Leave Act; Court rulings involving employees and employers; Employee protection.
- Dilemma of the month… stopping flu bugs. Brown, David // Employers Law;Apr2009, p27
The article provides an answer to a question about the legality of sending a sick employee home.
- EDITOR'S COMMENT. O'Reilly, Noel // Employers Law;Apr2011, p3
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports published within the issue on topics including the changes brought about by new employment legislation and employment law issues to be tackled by the human resources (HR) department.
- Human resources Q&A. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;9/5/2011, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p8
The article presents questions and answers related to human resource legal matters which include the Utah law on sick and vacation leaves, the computation of overtime for employees simultaneously working for two sister companies and issues arising from company-issued smartphones.
- Employees entitled to co-worker presence in interview. Cawyer, Russell // Fort Worth Business Press;08/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 18, p7
Answers queries related to labor and employment law in Texas. Termination of an employee for refusing to participate in the investigation without the presence of a co-worker; Giving of position that requires handling cash to an employee who is currently in bankruptcy.
- Managing in the litigation age. // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Office Edition;Jun97, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p6
Presents some areas in employment that may lead to employment lawsuits. Conducting an interview; Writing letters pertaining to employment or preparing handbooks or newsletters; Writing letters of reference; Documentation of employee misconduct; Suggestions to protect managers and companies in...
- Prepare to share. Sinclair, Diane // People Management;7/11/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 14, p59
Reports on the implementation of a law which allows employees to be informed and consulted on business and work-related issues in Great Britain in March 2005. Efforts done by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development in preparation of the implementation; Tasks which should be...
- When promoted, she stressed out, sued and won $100,000. Sabbag // Wenatchee Business Journal;Nov99, Vol. 13 Issue 11, pC1
Focuses on the legal implications of personnel management. Lawsuit won by an employee who was stressed-out after being promoted against her will; Disability issues; Sexual harassment; Wages; Racial discrimination; Wrongful dismissal; Fair labor standards. INSET: All companies big and small..
- In The News ï¿½. // HR Specialist: Employment Law;Jun2011, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p1
The article offers news briefs related to employment and human resource management including one which explains state laws on pay cards and direct deposits and the ruling made by the U.S. Supreme Court to allow employers to have the right to include class-action waivers in their arbitration...