Confusing laws swell discrimination cases
- Anti-affirmative action law put on hold. Long, Cynthia D. // Academe;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p6
Focuses on a United States District Court judge's issuance of a preliminary injunction barring the enforcement of Proposition 209, the law that would end affirmative action programs in California. Need to determine the law's constitutionality; Violation of the Equal Protection Clause.
- Will affirmative action be eliminated? Laabs, Jennifer J. // Personnel Journal;Apr95, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p11
Discusses the prospects for affirmative action legislation in the United States. Executive order by President Bill Clinton for a review of programs; Introduction of Senator Bob Dole's bill against partial treatment of minorities; Statement from House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
- Sweeping changes to federal affirmative action proposed. // HRMagazine;Sep95, Vol. 40 Issue 9, p4
Reports that Senate Majority Leader Robert Dole, R-Kan., and Representative Charles Canady, R-Fla., introduced into Congress legislation that would eliminate virtually all affirmative action programs within the federal government. Prohibition of racial and gender preferences in federal...
- Affirmative action under fire. // Scholastic Update;9/15/95, Vol. 128 Issue 2, p3
Discusses affirmative-action laws in the United States. Supreme Court case `Adarand v. Pena'; Pledge of presidential candidate California Governor Pete Wilson to abolish affirmative action if elected.
- Revised Equal Employment Opportunity Law laid before the Diet. // Women's International Network News;Summer97, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p57
Focuses on the provisions of a revised bill on the 1986 Equal Employment Opportunity Law in Japan. Call for the abolition of protective provision for women in the Labor Standards Law; Impact of the law on married women; Weakened negotiation power of labor unions.
- California's proposition 209 upheld. // PA Times;Jan98, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the US Supreme Court's rejection of the constitutional challenge placed by civil rights groups to the California's Proposition 209 law on affirmative action program.
- Affirmative action ideas viewed. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;4/15/96, Vol. 14 Issue 16, p1
Reports on the legislation that would eliminate affirmative action programs in Michigan. Key features of the legislative bill; Criticisms against the bill.
- Negative action. // Progressive;Aug95, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p10
Comments on the US Supreme Court's opinion on the unconstitutionality of most affirmative action programs. Court's setting of standards for affirmative action programs; Effects of the court's ruling on the purpose of the program to counter discrimination.
- Justice leaders oppose Proposition 209. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;2/6/97, Vol. 13 Issue 25, p7
Reports on plans of the US Justice Department to join the legal battle against California's anti-affirmative action statute as part of an effort to expand civil-rights advocacy. Filing of motions in support of critics of Proposition 209; Implications of the judges' action.