A light at the end of the tunnel?
- MOUNTAIN MOVERS. // Scholastic SuperScience;Oct2011, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p3
The article reports that the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Europe has been finished after 11 years of construction which is worth 11 billion dollars.
- The longest tunnels in the world. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p36
Features the longest underground or underwater passageways in the world. Land vehicular, underwater vehicular, railroad and water as the different types of tunnels; The longest tunnels in each category.
- Digging it in Boston. Green, Peter // ENR: Engineering News-Record;8/19/96, Vol. 237 Issue 8, p24
Reports that a redesign of an underground segment on the Central Artery/Tunnel project in Boston, Massachusetts saved $300 million in construction costs. Replacement for elevated highway; Provision of a site for immersed tubes and jacking pits; Construction of underground link between...
- Mischief making moles. // New Statesman & Society;8/2/91, Vol. 4 Issue 162, Special War Issue p41
Reprints an article from the December 19, 1980 issue of `New Statesman,' entitled `Mischief Making Moles' in which Duncan Campbell describes his visits to a maze of government tunnels below London.
- Tunnel Vision. // Science World (Teacher's Edition);03/26/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 12, pTE2
Provides a lesson plan about different tunnels around the world such as the Seikan Tunnel in Japan and Saint Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland.
- TUNNEL VISION. // Science World (Teacher's Edition);03/26/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 12, p13
Provides information on the technologies used in building tunnels such as the Saint Gotthard Base Tunnel in the Swiss Alps and the Seikan Tunnel in Japan.
- The Capitol tunnels keep staffers warm and dry as snow continues to fall. Yager, Jordy // Hill;2/10/2010, Vol. 17 Issue 14, p19
The article provides information on underground tunnels beneath the Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
- Boston tunnel symbol of political era nearly buried. Shillinger, Kurt // Christian Science Monitor;12/15/95, Vol. 88 Issue 15, p1
Informs of opening of the Ted Williams Tunnel, which is part of the Central Artery project, in Massachusetts connecting the city of Boston to the airport. Details about the tunnel and cost of same; Reasons for the Central Artery project being the last of its kind; Cost overruns in the project.
- Costly delays possible in rail tunnel collapse near Heathrow airport. Shapiro, Stacy // Business Insurance;10/31/94, Vol. 28 Issue 44, p95
Reports on the collapse of a section of the Heathrow Express underground railway project in Heathrow Airport in London, England. Third-party property damages; Cost of completion delays.