Commission to propose changes to municipal bankruptcy law
- Bankruptcies. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);3/10/97, Vol. 17 Issue 36, p31
Presents information on petitions that were filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Louisiana during February 1997.
- Detroit Bankruptcy Plan to be Filed Friday, Reports Say. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/21/2014, Vol. 123 Issue F308, p1
The article informs that Detroit, Michigan is looking to file a bankrupt city plan in federal bankruptcy court, to treat its general obligation bonds as unsecured as of February 21, 2014.
- Distorted reality. Howell, Shea // Michigan Citizen;7/20/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 37, pA1
The article focuses on the impact of municipal bankruptcy of Detroit, Michigan, on the life of Detroit's people as of July 2014 such as generous tax breaks, pension obligations and water shutoffs.
- ALABAMA: JeffCo Committee Urged. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/17/2012, Vol. 380 Issue 33716, p7
The article reports on the recommendation of the case administrator in the municipal bankruptcy case in Jefferson County, Alabama which stresses the appointment of an unsecured creditors committee.
- FYI...U.S. bankruptcy filings. // Plastics News;9/8/1997, Vol. 9 Issue 28, p3
Presents statistical information on United States bankruptcy filings for the period 1988 to 1997.
- Proposed tax cut would bankrupt D.C., official says. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/27/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30628, p4
Warns that a proposed tax cut will bankrupt Washington D.C. Actual cost of the tax reduction, according to plan opponent Natwar Gandhi; Projected reduction in property, income and business taxes; Credit rating agency Standard & Poor's ignorance of and reaction to the plan.
- JeffCo, Creditors Agree to Restructuring. SIGO, SHELLY // Bond Buyer;9/19/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33584, p1
The article reports on the move of Jefferson County, Alabama Commission in avoiding the filing of the considered largest municipal bankruptcy in the U.S. It notes that the commission has agreed to a restructure deal with creditors holding about 3.11 billion dollars of defaulted variable- and...
- Municipal Debt Adjustment. Harvey, Thomas E. // Business Lawyer;Nov77, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p221
Analyzes municipal bankruptcy in the United States. Issuance of certificates of indebtedness; Rejection of executory agreements after hearing on notice; Limitation of the automatic stay provision to proceedings.
- Voters Hit Polls to Consider Taxes to Save California City. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;06/06/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30906, p1
Reports on the special election in Desert Hot Springs, California, to determine whether voters should raise money to repay the city's debt or file for bankruptcy. Proposed amount sought from utility users; Reductions in the city's annual budget in an event of a ballot failure.