Be a uniting force in a divided firm
- The necessary art of delegation. Cullison, Johnny // Landscape Management;Feb96, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p22L
Discusses the advantages of job delegation or decentralization of management. Includes extension of management's sphere of influence; Optimization of manpower resources; Development of subordinates' leadership skills. INSET: Four keys to proper delegation..
- The centre cannot hold. Baker, Ken // IPA Review;1994, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p5
Reports on the decentralization of management in Australia. Tom Peters, a management guru; Restructuring of the Swiss-based heavy-industry giant ABB Asea Brown Boveri; Example of self-management.
- Consider the consequences of decentralized IS. Foster, Jerry // InfoWorld;5/8/95, Vol. 17 Issue 19, p54
Opinion. Discusses several factors that contribute to the decentralization of a company's IS department. Hardware; Software; Data transfer between applications; Cost; Training.
- Homestead House centralizes management. // Furniture/Today;8/5/2002, Vol. 26 Issue 47, p4
Reports the centralization in management of Homestead House in the U.S. Promotion of Homestead House president Archie Hall; Selection for vice president Mark Smith of all stores; Resignation of Rick Grill from the Rocky Mountain region.
- Liberated performance. Clemmer, Jim // Executive Excellence;Sep98, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p17
Points out the reason for the success of decentralized organization. Natural tendency for executives to control and centralize the organizational structure of a company; Characteristics of the structure of a decentralized organization.
- NOTE FROM THE EDITOR. // National Tax Journal;Jun93, Vol. 46 Issue 2, preceding p95
This article discusses the contents of the issue including a Morris Beck Memorial Paper by Richard Bird and a response to the paper from Ned Gramlich and Wally Oates.
- CENTRALIZE THIS. Shapiro, Harvey D.; Macpherson, Bruce // Treasury & Risk Management;Feb2002, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p12
Reports the emergence of decentralization in the business sector in the U.S. Ways in which a company can set up a global treasury; Evolution of tax planning; Merger between Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham PLC.
- NYC Firms Mull Decentralizing Processing, Networks. Kite, Shane // Securities Industry News;12/24/2001, Vol. 13 Issue 50, p12
Reports the plans of various securities firms to shore up back-up sites and recovery operations following the September 11 attacks in New York, New York. Details of the decentralization approach; Definition of decentralized systems; Result of the proximity of Wall Street's operation.
- Management's Men in the Middle. Weiner, Jack B. // Management Review;Jun65, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p31
Discusses the problems in a decentralized management. Effect on division managers; Confusion among decision makers; Difficulty of achieving a unified corporate goal.