The risks of providing an unreliable reference
- Watch your back, referee. Aikin, Olga // People Management;4/13/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p22
Presents employer's liability cases in Great Britain concerning the subject of references and its recipient. Spring versus Guardian Assurance PLC; TSB Bank PLC versus Harris; Background of the case.
- Appeal Note: Negligence and references. // Accountancy;Apr93, Vol. 111 Issue 1196, p104
This article references a 1992 issue of Accountancy which reported the case of Spring versus Guardian Assurance PLC. The British High Court decided that actions by employees in respect of damage caused by inaccurate references given by their employers could be framed in negligence and not, as...
- Labor hates Nevada blacklisting bill. Myers, Dennis // Las Vegas Business Press;05/05/97, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p20
Reports on the reintroduction of a bill at Nevada legislature that would give business people immunity from liability if they share information about employees. Assemblyman Lynn Hettrick as sponsor of the bill; Provisions of the bill; Workers' related concern; Suspicion on the ongoing practice...
- Reference checking made easier. // PHC Profit Report;11/01/96, Vol. 4 Issue 21, p7
Reports on an article in the `Manager's Legal Bulletin' about a trend among several states to create legislation intended to protect employers who provide good-faith job references. Names of states that have passed such laws; Legal difficulties faced by employers in making job references.
- Legal concerns in writing job recommendations. Miller, Lori K.; Pitts, Brenda G. // Physical Educator;Late Winter93, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p47
Focuses on the legal concerns involved in writing job recommendations. Purposes of a letter of recommendation; Primary criteria that must be proven by the plaintiff in a defamation lawsuit; Implications of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); Guidelines for writing a legally...
- Law allows employers to give references without fear of being sued. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;5/1/95, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p1
Reports on the passage of the Employer Reference Act of 1995 by the Utah State Legislature. Protection of employers from liability for giving job references for ex-workers seeking employment elsewhere; Rebuttable presumption that an employer is acting in good faith.
- Law backs employer candor in job references. Russell, Judi // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);7/22/96, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p6
Reports on the implementation of the Quality in Hiring Act in Louisiana effective August 1996 which protects employers who give references from civil liability as long as the information given is in good faith. Root of the implementation of the law; Provisions of the law; Well known cases of...
- Providing job references involves some touchy legalities. Calderwood, James A. // Ceramic Industry;Feb96, Vol. 145 Issue 2, p28
Discusses laws involving employment references. Details of a lawsuit against an insurance company in Florida; Employers' fear of providing negative information about their former employees.
- Five more states enact reference-checking laws. Leonard, Bill // HRMagazine;May96, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p8
Reports on the five states that enacted the good-faith job references law in the United States. Efforts to push the laws.