Drive to move people off streets into work
- German project breaks the catch-22 of no home, no job. Sacirbey, Omar // Christian Science Monitor;4/2/98, Vol. 90 Issue 88, p7
Looks at the `Bridge - Work Instead of Homelessness' project run by the Institute for Training and Advice in Dresden, Germany. How the program provides jobs for homeless people renovating a 300-year old villa in Dresden; The relationship between unemployment and homelessness in Germany; The...
- Hotel gives homeless a chance at a comeback. Daugherty, Christi // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);5/20/96, Vol. 16 Issue 46, p21
Reports that homeless persons from the Garden District shelter were given employment opportunities at the New Orleans Riverside hotel. Reasons for employing homeless persons; Background information on the Garden District shelter; Insight on hotel's employment program for homeless persons.
- Getting homeless youth into employment and training. Wildman, Paul; Stokes, Marie // Youth Studies;Aug90, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p36
Describes Homeless Youth Employment Skills Program in the hope that it may assist in the design of similar programs in Australia. Program design issues; Course components of the study; Outcomes and evaluation of the study. INSETS: Course participant, `Anita'.;Course participant, `Susan'..
- The employer's role in the job success of people who are homeless. Ratcliff, Kimberly A.; Shillito, Lee S. // Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal;Winter1996, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p87
Investigates employer experiences with homeless individuals who graduated from a job training program and secured employment in their workplaces. Role of employer in homeless people's job success.
- Homeless workers contradict myths. Filipowski, Diane // Personnel Journal;Mar93, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p49
States that many employers have resisted hiring the homeless out of fear that they're crazy, substance abusers or unclean. How TW Recreational Services Inc. (TWR) found instead that homeless people want to develop job skills, and they make good employees. Hiring process; Training. INSET: More...
- A homeless idea. // Waste News;8/19/96, Vol. 2 Issue 14, p8
Editorial. Focuses on Sacramento, California recycler Kelly Smith's plan to provide jobs for the homeless. Location of Smith's facility in neighborhood populated with the homeless; Local residents' opposition to the idea.
- Paper says police harass homeless street vendors. Stein, M.L. // Editor & Publisher;1/14/95, Vol. 128 Issue 2, p23
Reports on the `Grapevine' newspaper's use of homeless street vendors as sole distributors in Phoenix, Arizona. Police as harassing the vendors; Reaction from the police.
- `Joe Homeless' leaves a legacy of courage, determination. Weiner, Julie // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;07/05/99, Vol. 207 Issue 10, p28
Comments on the case of Joe who reinvented himself as a refrigeration mechanic after being homeless for 11 years in New York City. Donation of tools for Joe; Training in refrigeration and other related courses; Writing of the book `My Life on the Streets: Memoirs of a Faceless Man' through a...
- Mission vs. morale. Thrall, Terese Hudson // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;Jul2002, Vol. 76 Issue 7, p32
Presents opposing views on a municipal program that requests the hiring of homeless workers in a hospital that had employee layoffs. Reason for participating in the program; Issues that provide explanation why a hospital should not participate.