Corps nationwide permits backlash
- The war over wetlands. Nicholas, Sara // Issues in Science & Technology;Summer92, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p35
Discusses the improved laws and incentives that foster wise management required for safeguarding wetlands. President George Bush's pledge to support measures that would balance destruction of wetlands; What is encompassed by the term `wetland'; Clean Water Act; Redefining wetlands;...
- Protecting wetlands. Schiller, Eugene; Flanagan, Shanon // Public Management (00333611);Oct97, Vol. 79 Issue 10, p19
Focuses on wetlands protection and the local governments' role and policies in United States. Suggestions and examples of local wetland protection; Description of resources available to local governments in implementing wetland protection programs; Case studies from the local governments;...
- Adventures of Ranger Rick. Prescott, Lyle; Langford, Alton // Ranger Rick;Apr96, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p34
Presents a short story about the protection of wetlands and the animals depending on it. INSET: More facts..
- What's the Verdict? Gilbert, Jennifer L.; Clegg, Dave // Ranger Rick;Apr96, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p45
Presents a play about wetland conservation entitled `What's the Verdict?.'
- Adopt a pothole. Dunn, J.A.C. // Country Journal;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p8
Reports on the establishment of a conservation program called Adopt a Pothole to restore Midwestern wetlands and rebuild the waterfowl population. Midwestern definition of `pothole'; Unprecedented lows in waterfowl population; Predator attacks on ducks and duck eggs; Program subsidies on...
- Saving the wetlands. Reiger, G. // Field & Stream;Nov91, Vol. 96 Issue 7, p12
Opinion. Examines the positive role of private landowners in the fight to save wetlands. Argues that conservationists should stop treating private landowners like adversaries. How increasing red tape makes landowners more susceptible to developers' offers; Current debate over the legal...
- Restoring private wetlands. Reiger, George // Field & Stream;Aug92, Vol. 97 Issue 4, p49
Details the North American Waterfowl Management Plan, which restores the hydrology, or water conditions, on private sites that were once wetlands. What most projects consist of, including plugging ditches and breaking tiles use to drain wetlands for agricultural purposes; Tax advantages to...
- River under seige. Van Tighem, Kevin; Baird, Betty // Canadian Geographic;Apr/May91, Vol. 111 Issue 2, p54
Reports on the uncertain future of British Columbia's wetlands. Upper Columbia river natural habitat threatened by B.C. Hydro land sell-off to developers; Ecological significance; Michael Stahnke, member of East Kootenay Environmental Society calls for designation as a Ramsar Wetland of...
- For love of a swamp. McManus, Reed // Sierra;May/Jun96, Vol. 81 Issue 3, p42
Emphasizes the need for wetland protection in the United States. Wetlands as sources of life; Disappearance of wetlands in the 1990s; Amendments to the Clean Water Act that would remove protection for two-thirds of United States wetlands.