The right procedure to tackle staff misconduct
- How to conduct a disciplinary interview. Fowler, Alan // People Management;11/21/1996, Vol. 2 Issue 23, p40
Offers advice on how conduct a fair disciplinary interview and avoid finding yourself at an industrial tribunal hearing. Common mistakes when conducting a disciplinary interview; Criteria of disciplinary procedure; Skills required when chairing other kinds of meetings. INSET: Checklist..
- Toward a model for determining appropriate corrective action in public employee discipline. Aufrecht, Steven E. // Journal of Collective Negotiations in the Public Sector;1996, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p171
Evaluates several practitioner models and academic literature to identify the key assumptions, concerns and values in implementing corrective action in disciplinary cases involving public employees. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) model; American Arbitration Association (AAA) study of...
- Administering discipline in the organization. Buhler, Patricia // Supervision;Nov93, Vol. 54 Issue 11, p17
Gives advice on the proper administration of discipline in the workplace. Use of a program of progressive discipline; Importance of communication; Use of written policies that are distributed to all employees; Focusing on behavior; Discipline as a managerial tool.
- Consistency: Cure for supervisory insomnia. Dreyer, R.S. // Supervision;May96, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p19
Focuses on employee discipline. Consistency issues; Charges of discrimination; Discussion on supervisors' job responsibilities.
- Five worst disciplinary mistakes (and how to avoid them). Bielous, Gary A. // Supervision;Aug98, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p11
Discusses the five worst possible disciplinary mistakes and how to avoid them. Implication of praising too much or too little; How to avoid losing temper; Effect of avoiding disciplinary action entirely.
- Nine common mistakes made when disciplining employees. Lisoski, Ed // Supervision;Oct98, Vol. 59 Issue 10, p12
Lists the nine common mistakes made by a manager or a supervisor when disciplining employees. Failure to use support groups; Disciplining in public; Lose control of emotion; Failure to listen.
- Constructive discipline. Caskey, Clark C. // Supervision;Oct91, Vol. 52 Issue 10, p11
Deals with the essentials of effective and constructive disciplinary system. Guidelines on proper mix disciplinary action; Proper actions to meet disciplinary action; How to interpret disciplinary actions; More.
- Is safety discipline a lost art? LaBar, Gregg // Occupational Hazards;May98, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p8
Provides information on the use of employee discipline as a safety management tool. Comments from Mark D. Hansen, CSP, CPE, PE, manager of safety services for Union Texas Petrochemicals Corporation of Houston; Factors which contribute to a lack of discipline; Concerns surrounding the use of...
- Your questions answered... // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Plant Edition;May97, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p2
Presents readers' questions and answers on disciplinary measures that can be adopted by management. Issues on workers' insubordination; Use of telephone for personal purposes; Employees and their personal affairs; Troublemaker employee.