A church-based diabetes education program for older, African-American women
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY BARRIERS AND FACILITATORS AMONG LOW INCOME OLDER ADULTS. Clark, Daniel O. // Gerontologist;Oct1996 Supplement, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p157
Regular, moderate-paced physical activity has been shown to hold considerable health and functional status benefit for adults of all ages. Unfortunately, rates of regular physical activity are low and little information is available on the barriers and facilitators to physical activity among...
- OLDER AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN'S PREVENTIVE CARE KNOWLEDGE AND SCREENING BEHAVIORS. Rose, J. H.; O'toole, E. E.; Chou, N.; Wadsworth, N. S. // Gerontologist;Oct1996 Supplement, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p129
One hundred and ten African American women participating in a wellness program for low income elderly women in senior centers in Cleveland completed a questionnaire on preventive care and cancer screening knowledge and behaviors. The mean age was 70 (SD=8.3) and mean education was 11 years...
- Untitled Image. LEE, EASTON // Encounters: Voices & Echoes;2003, p189
An image of an old African American woman is presented.
- WHY GREAT-GRANDMA DANCES. // Ebony;Mar1957, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p55
The article features 79-year-old Frances Duncan of Minnesota and her passion for dancing and other activities that make her healthy.
- Spring Into Good Health With Regular Checkups. // Jet;3/22/2004, Vol. 105 Issue 12, p22
Discusses health risks factors in Afro-American women, men and senior citizens in the U.S. Advantage of medical check-up routine; Percentage of chances that Afro-Americans are more likely than Whites to get cancer and other diseases; Chances that Afro-American men will likely get heart diseases.
- Factors Influencing Chronic Pain Intensity in Older Black Women: Examining Depression, Locus of Control, and Physical Health. Baker, Tamara A.; Buchanan, Nicole T.; Corson, Nicole // Journal of Women's Health (15409996);Jun2008, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p869
Background: Chronic pain may function uniquely within a given race group, which may affect their physical health and psychological well-being. This is particularly relevant among women from diverse race populations. Methods: Hierarchical multivariate regression analysis was used to examine pain...
- The Long-Term Relationship Between High-Intensity Volunteering and Physical Activity in Older African American Women. Tan, Erwin J.; Rebok, George W.; Qilu Yu; Frangakis, Constantine E.; Carlson, Michelle C.; Tao Wang; Ricks, Michelle; Tanner, Elizabeth K.; McGill, Sylvia; Fried, Linda P. // Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences & Socia;Mar2009, Vol. 64B Issue 2, p304
Objectives. Experience Corps (EC) places older volunteers in public elementary schools in 20 cities across the country. The EC program in Baltimore is a health promotion intervention designed to improve the academic outcomes of children and increase older adult volunteer physical activity. We...
- Association of BMI and Cardiovascular Risk Stratification in the Elderly African-American Females. Javed, Fahad; Aziz, Emad F.; Sabharwal, Manpreet S.; Nadkarni, Girish N.; Khan, Shahzeb A.; Cordova, Juan P.; Benjo, Alexandre M.; Gallagher, Dympna; Herzog, Eyal; Messerli, Franz H.; Pi-Sunyer, F. Xavier // Obesity (19307381);Jun2011, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p1182
We aimed to estimate the association of BMI and risk of systemic hypertension in African-American females aged 65 years and older. In this retrospective, cross-sectional study, medical charts were randomly reviewed after obtaining institutional review board approval and data collection was...
- The Lived Experience of Depression in Elderly African American Women. Black, Helen K.; White, Tracela; Hannum, Susan M. // Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences & Socia;Nov2007, Vol. 62B Issue 6, pS392
Objectives. This article focuses on the lived experience of depression in 20 elderly African American women. Methods. Data on depression emerged from research that qualitatively explored experiences of depression, sadness, and suffering in 120 community-dwelling persons aged 80 and older,...