- Independent living services for older individuals who are blind: Issues and practices. Moore, J. Elton; Stephens, Barry C. // American Rehabilitation;Spring94, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p30
Focuses on independent living issues as they relate to older individuals who are blind. Demographics of vision and aging; Models of service delivery; The impact of severe visual impairment and blindness on various psychosocial factors.
- Associated services for the blind in Philadelphia. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep93, Vol. 87 Issue 7, p280
Reports on the Associated Services for the Blind in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania's renaming of its two facilities. Purpose of honoring Mary K. Bauman, a leader in administration of programs for the blind and Jenny Beck for greater availability of braille; HumanServices Division as Mary K. Bauman...
- Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep93, Vol. 87 Issue 7, p280
Reports on Lighthouse for the Blind's expansion of its low vision services in Columbia, Washington. Appointment of Stephen J. Feinberg as director of low vision; Contact information.
- Lighthouse for the Blind in Seattle. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep93, Vol. 87 Issue 7, p280
Reports on Lighthouse of the Blind's search for volunteers to work with deaf-blind and developmentally disabled clients. Tasks; Contact information.
- A peer support network for blind people with diabetes. Bryant, E.; Vaughan, C.E. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Nov93, Vol. 87 Issue 9, p377
Features the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), a support network for persons who had become blind from diabetes. Aim; Summation of the network's Voice of the Diabetic; List of committees and networks established by NFB.
- The merger of two organizations in the field. Baldwin, A.S. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Jul/Aug94, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the merger between two San Francisco, California-based organizations in the field of blindness, the Lighthouse for the Blind and the Rose Resnick Center for the Blind. Organizational history; Process of the merger; Combination of financial accounting functions as the most difficult...
- Around the world. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Jul/Aug94, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p18
Presents news updates concerning the services for the blind in key countries in the world as of August 1994. Includes need for braillers and equipments for the education of the blind in Afghanistan; Market of a portable reading machine, the Reading Edge in Spain; Establishment of a pilot...
- Information centers for newly blind persons in Israel. Dickstein, N.; Gozovsky, M. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Nov/Dec94 Part 1 of 2, Vol. 88 Issue 6, p512
Describes an innovative program of information centers in Israel designed to identify newly blind persons. Provision of first-hand information about available services; Stimulation of awareness of rehabilitation services among medical personnel; Relationship between volunteers and...
- Health care reform and vision-related rehabilitation. Lidoff, Lorraine // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Jul/Aug95 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p5
Presents different suggestions to succeed in expanding coverage for vision rehabilitation through the health care system in the United States. Need for consensus on what people want; Need for education of the people about blindness or visual impairment; Need to improve the consistency of and...
- Writing contest. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Mar/Apr96 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 90 Issue 2, p28
Calls for participation in the 1995-1996 National Federation of the Blind Writers' Division Poetry and Fiction contests. Contest requirements; Prizes; Contact information.