California group protests state redistribution of local taxes
- The Tax Code Strangles Our Cities. Scarry, Donald M. // Business News New Jersey;7/31/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 31, p14
Discusses how the weakness of New Jersey's tax system leads to the decline of the state's urban centers. Tax system as a means for marshaling collective resources; Suburbanization of the state; Colonial system of taxation.
- Sahuarita adopts sales, bed taxes in effort to increase local control. Markley, Jennifer // Inside Tucson Business;3/4/96, Vol. 5 Issue 49, p1
Reports on the adoption of a one percent sales tax and a two percent bed tax in Sahuarita community in Tucson, Arizona. Sahuarita's growth and development after its incorporation in 1994; Election of town officers; Town's plan to develop a general plan document; Zoning plan for the town; Planned...
- FISCAL EQUALIZATION BETWEEN SWEDISH MUNICIPALITIES. Chernick, Howard // Proceedings of the Annual Conference on Taxation;2002, p185
Describes the fiscal equalization between municipalities in Sweden. Estimation in the overall degree of equalization; Analysis of incentives built into the capacity equalization component;Factors affecting the need for equalization.
- Town tax rates. // Business NH Magazine;Nov96, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p58
Reports on the town tax rates in New Hampshire based on the state's `1996 Economic Report.' Assessment ratios; 1995 full tax value tax rate; Total property valuation.
- NW cities rated among best, worst for travel taxes. // Journal of Business (10756124);3/27/2014, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p12
The article presents information on a report on travel taxes of U.S. cities based on an annual study conducted by the GBTA Foundation. According to the report, Seattle has been ranks among the 10 U.S. cities incurring highest total tax burden on travelers and Portland, Maine ranks among 10...
- Hearing set on city tax rate, budget. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);9/4/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 36, p1
The article announces the public hearing for the proposed budget and tax rate of Whitney City will held at the Whitney City Hall in Texas on September 9, 2013 at six o'clock in the evening.
- San Juan changes `patente' payment policy. // Caribbean Business;4/25/1996, Vol. 24 Issue 16, p13
Reports that the Municipality of San Juan requires companies paying municipal taxes, or patente, to submit a certified financial statement. What the change is policy is expected to cost; Comments from spokesman for the San Juan municipal tax office.
- Burnet considering 4B tax. Hosman, Catherine // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);12/19/2007, Vol. 135 Issue 51, p1A
The article reports that the city of Burnet in Texas is qualified to vote on a switch from 4A economic development tax to a 4B tax as it has fewer than 20,000 residents.
- Commission Urges Tax Reform To Boost Philadelphia Business. D'Ambrosio, Gillian // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p32
Focuses on the formal recommendation made by Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission to city and state leaders regarding tax reform. Importance of cutting taxes to attract business; Issuance of recommendation in the form of legislation; Need to trim wage tax.