East St. Louis, Ill., offer of TIF aid to local schools ends teacher strike
- More than a salary question. // America;3/15/1947, Vol. 76 Issue 24, p650
The author comments on the teachers' strikes in the U.S. He notes that inadequacy of salaries paid to them and their demand for wage adjustment are causing these protests. Furthermore, the teachers were also calling for the increase allocation of budget for education which aims fund the...
- Why teachers are so ungrateful. Beckett, Francis // New Statesman;4/1/2002, Vol. 131 Issue 4581, p29
Focuses on the financing of education in Great Britain due to efforts of the Labour government, and the view that it has provoked unrest. Estelle Morris, a former teacher, who is the education secretary; Teachers unions which may vote for strike or other forms of protest; Way that schools may...
- NEWS briefs. // Community College Week;11/8/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p13
Presents news briefs on community colleges in the U.S. as of November 8, 2004. Effects of the strike organized by the Cook County College Teachers Union Local 1600 on community college students; Reason behind the decline in enrollment at Minnesota's public colleges; Value of the federal grant...
- News this week. // Finance Week;08/20/99, p7
Reports on news briefs in South Africa and other countries as of August 20, 1999. Strike staged by teachers in Gauteng, South Africa, in support of public service union demands for pay increases; Flash floods in China that have drowned people and destroyed property.
- Faculty strikes settled in Michigan, New York. // Academe;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p7
Reports on the settlement of faculty strikes in Michigan and New York. Terms of agreement; David Shantz as chief negotiator for the chapter; Included in the Wayne State agreement; Return to class by faculty at Long Island University.
- Smattering of school districts still facing teacher strikes. Richardson, Joanna // Education Week;9/14/94, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p5
Reports on strikes conducted by teachers on the first week of September 1994. Dispute with officials of the Federal Way, Washington school district over safety and discipline issues; Occurrence of strikes in smaller districts.
- Teacher strikes and public policy: Does the law matter? Partridge, Dane M. // Journal of Collective Negotiations in the Public Sector;1996, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p3
Examines teacher strike activities in the United States from 1974 to 1980. Implications for public policy; Negative relations of statutory provisions to teacher strikes; Impact of strike prohibitions.
- Pa. bill to outlaw teacher strike advances. Miller, Laura // Education Week;10/25/95, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p24
Reports on the legislation passed in the state of Pennsylvania that bans teacher strikes. Replacing the right to strike with binding best offer arbitration; How the system would work; Binding arbitration to take the decisionmaking out of the hands of local school board members and into the...
- Teachers in Wash. district end 37-day-long strike. Ponessa, Jeanne // Education Week;11/22/95, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p3
Reports that the after 37 days, teachers of the Fife schools district in Washington state ended their strike which began on October 9, 1995. Refusal of teachers to accept a proposed pay cut for work done outside regular school days as the cause of the strike; Terms of the settlement.